Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derekshepard

Final Score vs. Current Score

Jump to solution

When I export completed course information into Excel, I get a Current Score % and a Final Score % that are different. What are the differences between the two and any thoughts as to why they are different?

1 Solution
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@derekshepard ​,

The current score is the score that is calculated for all graded activities.  It does not include any assignment, quizzes, etc, that have not yet been submitted or graded.  If there is a null value (--)  it simply ignores it in the calculation. The Final Score calculates all graded activities whether or not it has been given an actual grade.  If there is a null value (--) it treats this as a zero.  In most instances the Current Grade will be higher than the Final.

Robbie

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@derekshepard ​,

The current score is the score that is calculated for all graded activities.  It does not include any assignment, quizzes, etc, that have not yet been submitted or graded.  If there is a null value (--)  it simply ignores it in the calculation. The Final Score calculates all graded activities whether or not it has been given an actual grade.  If there is a null value (--) it treats this as a zero.  In most instances the Current Grade will be higher than the Final.

Robbie

Theoretically then, if one checks, "treat ungraded as zero" and then exports to Excel, then the "final grade" should equal the "current grade," no?

0 Kudos

boles​, no, that is not the case. "Treat ungraded as zero" is a Gradebook view; it calculates grades as if the student received a zero for ungraded assignments, but does not actually enter grades of zero for those assignments. Please refer to this Canvas lesson for a detailed description: How do I treat ungraded assignments as zero in the Gradebook?

If you want your Gradebook export to accurately reflect zero grades, you must first enter zeros for those students who should receive them. You can do that by entering a default grade of 0 for each assignment column and choosing not to overwrite the existing grades. The Canvas lesson that describes that is here: How do I set a default grade for an Assignment?

Thanks for the reply...and so quickly! I'm not sure I understand the difference, or that there is a difference. If the Gradebook does not actually enter a zero, as you say, but treats an ungraded assignment as a zero when that option is checked, then there doesn't seem to be any difference in terms of the "Final" grade that appears in the Gradebook the web page -- what you refer to as "Gradebook view," (or in the exported Excel file after the "treat as zero" option is checked), as to whether a zero is entered or not. In other words, regardless of whether or not a zero is entered, checking the "treat as zero" option will produce the same Final Score, won't it?

- Elson

0 Kudos

boles, the "treat ungraded as zero" is a hypothetical exercise that allows you to see what your students' final grades would look like if they did not complete any of the outstanding assignments and received zero grades for those assignments. In order for your students to see accurate grades, the zeros must actually be entered, either manually or using the default grade method I described earlier.

This is the relevant part from the first guide link I referenced earlier; I've put some sections in bold for emphasis.

As an instructor, you can view student grades as if all ungraded assignments as worth zero points in the Gradebook. This feature called Treat Ungraded as 0 is located in the Gradebook Settings and is only a visual change that does not actually affect any grades—it only helps you see the change in Gradebook calculations if ungraded assignments were given scores of zero. Enabling this option has no effect outside of the Gradebook; students cannot see any difference in their grade pages.

When the Treat Ungraded as 0 setting is enabled, assignments that do not have a grade will be treated as if a student received a score of zero. You can disable this setting in the Gradebook at any time. Even when this setting is enabled, Canvas will not populate zeros in the Gradebook. Dashes will still display for each student submission.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

0 Kudos

Yes, I get your point. Mine is different as I was not referring to what students see in Canvas, nor was Derek and Robbie in their posts. The question is the difference between the Current Score and Final Score that appears in the exported Excel file. Knowing the difference important for myself (and apparently Derek too), since that is what I use to determine letter grades (for input to our local system). It is also not clear from Robbie's post whether or not selecting "Treat Ungraded as 0" for "Total" has any effect on Final Score seen in the Excel file. She writes, "The Final Score calculates all graded activities whether or not it has been given an actual grade. If there is a null value (--) it treats this as a zero ." The question I'm asking, is whether or not it actually does treat it as zero, regardless of whether or not one has selected, "Treat Ungraded as 0"?

As for students, presumably the "Total" that they see is the equivalent of Current grade in the exported Gradebook in Excel.

- Elson

0 Kudos

boles, my quick test--downloading two Gradebooks, one with "treat ungraded as zero" not enabled, and one with "treat ungraded as zero" enabled--showed no difference between the .csv export files. In other words, the view toggle doesn't have an impact on the content of the .csv file. In each case the "Current Score" was higher than the "Final Score," as  @Robbie_Grant ​ stated. (By the way, Robbie is a guy. Smiley Happy )

So getting back to your original question:

Theoretically then, if one checks, "treat ungraded as zero" and then exports to Excel, then the "final grade" should equal the "current grade," no?

The answer is no, that is not the case. And, assuming that you do indeed treat ungraded assignments as zero in calculating your final score, you would indeed use the Final Score for reporting purposes--but if you want your students to see what final grade it is that you're going to submit, you would need to enter zeros for ungraded assignments. Otherwise, as you rightly point out, they are seeing the Current Score, not realizing that that is not their actual final grade--unless they, too, have disabled the "Calculate only on graded assignments" setting in their own Grades view: How do I view my grades in a current course?

@joseph_allen ​'s observation in this regard is right on point. It's a Gradebook view only, and it is confusing. It has been the subject of numerous feature ideas, one of which remains open for voting and is in the "Gathering Info" stage-- --so by all means, please add your votes and a description of your use cases there.

Hi Stephanie -

This is very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to test it out. I did too and I found that comparing the Current Score and Final Score was useful for me to catch the ungraded/uncompleted assignments that I still needed to enter a "zero" score for. When the two scores matched, I knew that the students "Total" in Gradebook and my "Total" were the same. Tedious. I'm casting my vote now!!

- Elson

I don't know how to explain to my students the difference between the final score and the current score. I've read all the comments above and it still makes no sense to me.

Now I've looked around further on Canvas Help and think I've figured out the problem with my grading. Students took 3 quizzes during the semester and I dropped the lowest grade. But it looks like Canvas didn't allow me to simply drop the grade as it now calculates that 3rd quiz as a zero. Consequently, my students' final scores are lower than their current score because of the one graded assignment they all received zeroes for. Is this a correct assessment? So then how do I fix this? Can I somehow enable my students' "current score" to be their final grade rather than the "final score"? I don't see that option. I'm at Columbia School of Social Work.

0 Kudos

@alw2115 , have you asked Canvas Support to have a look at your Gradebook? I have never experienced the difficulty you describe with dropping quiz scores causing a discrepancy between current scores and final grades (and I also use grading rules). As long as all of the quiz attempts have been graded (including anything that requires manual grading), and all three of the quizzes have been thoroughly graded, and all grades have been entered for all assignments, at the very end of the semester the final score and current score should be the same.

I'd be happy to have Canvas Support take a look at my Gradebook. I've looked around the site and can't seem to find a way to request this. Going to Support just asks me about how I'm experiencing the site.

0 Kudos

@alw2115 , to get help with Canvas, please follow the instructions in How do I get help with Canvas?​ You should be able to click on the Help button that appears in the left navigation menu wherever you are in Canvas and from there, select the Report a Problem option; ideally, you should submit your help ticket directly from the Gradebook page, as this will capture useful background information that will help Canvas Support identify the issue more readily. Also, I checked your school's website and found this page that is specific to Columbia: Canvas Support | Columbia CTL 

The "treat ungraded as zero" is one of the most misunderstood features, at least in our school district.  It took some time for us to understand that it is a gradebook view only and not actually calculating zeros in the grade.  We have hidden / disabled the feature because too many of our 8K teachers get confused by it.