Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevans

Final draft being compared to rough draft by TurnItIn

Jump to solution

In a writing course with 2 separate assignments, one for a rough draft and one for the final draft, TurnItIn is comparing the two in its originality report. I know there are some issues right now that both Canvas and TurnItIn are working on, together, but they have not acknowledged this particular issue. I read here (in a suggestion by a community member, thank you!) that it was best to use 2 assignments if we want to be able to see the progress of students, rather than only displaying the final results. Is anyone else experiencing this problem this week? Or, do you have any advice or hints about what we might be doing wrong? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

If you are using the, older API version of Turnitin, you are out of luck. With the LTI version, this is a matter of setting the advanced settings:

2015-10-22_18-06-51.jpg

On rough drafts, I set Turnitin to the "Do not Store" setting. That way, when the students submit final drafts, I don't get false positives from earlier drafts. I hope that helps, Karen!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kevans ​, have you seen the Canvas and Turnitin​ blog post? It's got some great information and discussion about using Canvas and Turnitin. In addition, I'm going to tag  @dhulsey ​ a Community expert on Turnitin on this to see if he can help!

Thanks Kona, I had not seen it. Looks like I had half the story before too. This is helpful, and I appreciate your speedy response!

dhulsey
Community Champion

If you are using the, older API version of Turnitin, you are out of luck. With the LTI version, this is a matter of setting the advanced settings:

2015-10-22_18-06-51.jpg

On rough drafts, I set Turnitin to the "Do not Store" setting. That way, when the students submit final drafts, I don't get false positives from earlier drafts. I hope that helps, Karen!