cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lse224
Community Champion

Finding ePortfolio content

Jump to solution

Is there a better way to find content to add to the ePortfolio than by scrolling through this seemingly-random list? The most recent submission this test student made wasn't at the top, and there wasn't much rhyme or reason to the rest of the list. We have a department relying on these, and I want to make sure we're able to give them all the support they need.
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 10.34.12 AM.png

Thanks,

-Lea

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

lse224​, so far, it doesn't sound like anyone in the Community has come up with a better way to search for the resources. I looked through the Feature Ideas for a similar request, but didn't find one. Have you considered submitting a feature idea to get this functionality simplified?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

I am hardly an expert on the ePortfolios, lse224​, but my own playing around with it indicates that assignments that were NEVER submitted by the student appear on the top of that list.  If they actually submitted the work electronically, they then appear in reverse chronological order by date/time of submission.  Did your test student actually submit something to the assignments in question. (And I don't think the usual "Test Student" will work; if you have not already, tried it with an actual student or a phony student account that you have on the production server.)

lse224
Community Champion

Yes, he did actually submit it, and he's a full-fledged dummy student, Joe Canvas. He's also enrolled in 50 classes so scrolling through that list is cumbersome. If we consider a student who is in school for 4-5 years and takes 4-5 classes per semester, they'll have incredibly long lists too. I'm not sure why there isn't a search or a drop down menu with classes in ePortfolio.

I appreciate your help.

kblack
Community Champion

One of many areas the ePortfolio could probably stand a bit of improvement.  We have a few faculty concerned that students do not view the ePortfolio functionality as especially user-friendly.  (Or "pretty"....but that's another discussion.)  There is nary a mention of it in Canvas Studio from what I can see, so I'm not sure it's high on their list of priorities.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

lse224​, so far, it doesn't sound like anyone in the Community has come up with a better way to search for the resources. I looked through the Feature Ideas for a similar request, but didn't find one. Have you considered submitting a feature idea to get this functionality simplified?

View solution in original post

lse224
Community Champion

Thanks, stefaniesanders​. I'll consider adding another feature request to my list. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

lse224​, have you tried asking your CSM or even Canvas Support if there's something we're missing in regards to a better/easier way to search for assignments? I'd be interested to hear if they have any advice.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi lse224

I marked Stefanie's response to this question as correct, not because she has provided a better way to browse ePortfolio content, but because she correctly pointed out that there doesn't appear to be a better solution at this time.

I can also confirm the ePortfolio is not a product area that gets many feature requests or attention, relative to other areas of Canvas.

lse224
Community Champion

Frankly, I don't mention it when I do Canvas-instruction sessions. However, I occasionally get questions about it, and we have one new program that wants to use it for a huge, high-stakes project. Since it doesn't transport/export well, I often recommend that the budding professionals build their digital presences elsewhere. While I understand that Canvas can't be all things for all people, I do find it frustrating when there are features that I feel I need to specifically omit from instruction or recommend against.