cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suzanne_waldenb
Community Member

First day of the week in Calendar

Jump to solution

For some reason, my monthly calendar view now shows Monday as the first day of the week, instead of Sunday. How do I change it back to a Sunday-first view?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Suzanne.

I went to my calendar. It started on Sunday. Then, I went to my Canvas settings and changed the language to "English (United Kingdom)". When I accessed the calendar again, it started on Monday. Is your language set to something other than "English (US)"?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ebissoon

Hi Suzanne,

I think that Instructure/Canvas sets the first day of the week as I cannot see a way to change it from an Admin perspective at all.. Might be worth logging a call with Canvas to see if there's anything that they can recommend doing to change it to the view that you prefer.

Thanks

Eric

I don't understand. I know that Monday has not always been set as the first day, as when I searched this topic, all I could find were some requests from users in other countries to be given the option to set Monday as day one to follow local custom. So would Canvas make a universal, unilateral decision to change the calendar layout for everyone, with no documentation or explanation? And no one minded or noticed except me?

I don't know how I would log a call with Canvas to ask this question. When I consult with my own institution's help desk, they send me here.

@suzanne_waldenb ​, Canvas did not implement this "universal, unilateral decision." I just navigated to my Calendar, and it starts on Sunday, just as it always did. If your school didn't implement this change--and apparently they are disavowing any knowledge of it, judging by the way they handled your support ticket--you will need to get firm with them and insist they "escalate" your ticket up to Canvas Support. I am hopeful that you used the Report a Problem option in your Canvas account rather than submitting a ticket to your IT Help Desk from outside of Canvas, because your school can only escalate the former kind of ticket, not the latter.

Instructions for submitting a help ticket to Canvas are here: How do I get help with Canvas?

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi, Suzanne.

I went to my calendar. It started on Sunday. Then, I went to my Canvas settings and changed the language to "English (United Kingdom)". When I accessed the calendar again, it started on Monday. Is your language set to something other than "English (US)"?

That was it! I don't know why, but I can't convince my computer I am not in the UK. I guess it reset the language in Canvas as well. When I checked, it said the system default was English (United Kingdom.)

Seeing as your school is in Arizona, I recommend that you contact the folks in charge of Canvas there and have an admin update the account settings. If the system default is set to UK, then you're probably not the only user confused by the week starting on Monday.

thomas_walker1
Community Member

Thank you for identifying this. If this is the only way I can get the calendar to start on Monday I'll pretend I'm British.

Thank you! Setting the language to English (UK) fixes my issue for the web version. Unfortunately, the Canvas mobile app still shows Sunday as the first day. I think the app actually used to have a distinct option for this, separate from the language setting, but it seems to have been removed.