Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saderosi

Form in student response for assignment

Jump to solution

I am trying to create an assignment where students fill out a form for their response. I want the chart in this picture to be in the student response.

195972_pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello saderosi​...

You're not going to be able to re-create a fillable table real well within Canvas for each of your students to individually fill out, so I would actually recommend that you use something like the Quizzes feature here in Canvas or Google Forms to create a form that your students can fill out.  Basically, you would be creating six questions (one for each of the blank cells you have shown above) in your form.  The questions would be set up in such a way that a variety of answers could be accepted (for example: essay question type).  Then, when the answers are submitted, you have them either in the Canavs Gradebook as a quiz submission or in a database in Google Docs that is automatically created for you when you create the online form.  If you still wanted the table visible to your students to refer to, you could do something like assign letter or number to each of the empty cells, and then in your questions you would refer to that cell that you want the student to respond to.  For example, if the Historian cell for "'What do they do?" was labeled as cell "C", you could have a question/statement like, "For cell 'C', describe what a Historian does.")

If you chose to use Google Forms to create your assignment for your student, then you can also embed the form in a Canvas course page, and your students can fill it out without ever needing to sign in to another website or leave your Canvas course.  stefaniesanders​ has written a really great blog called Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content which I encourage you to take a look at over in the Instructional Designers group here in the Canvas Community.  She gives detail on how you can embed things like a form inside of your course(s).

I hope this helps, Sharron!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello saderosi​...

You're not going to be able to re-create a fillable table real well within Canvas for each of your students to individually fill out, so I would actually recommend that you use something like the Quizzes feature here in Canvas or Google Forms to create a form that your students can fill out.  Basically, you would be creating six questions (one for each of the blank cells you have shown above) in your form.  The questions would be set up in such a way that a variety of answers could be accepted (for example: essay question type).  Then, when the answers are submitted, you have them either in the Canavs Gradebook as a quiz submission or in a database in Google Docs that is automatically created for you when you create the online form.  If you still wanted the table visible to your students to refer to, you could do something like assign letter or number to each of the empty cells, and then in your questions you would refer to that cell that you want the student to respond to.  For example, if the Historian cell for "'What do they do?" was labeled as cell "C", you could have a question/statement like, "For cell 'C', describe what a Historian does.")

If you chose to use Google Forms to create your assignment for your student, then you can also embed the form in a Canvas course page, and your students can fill it out without ever needing to sign in to another website or leave your Canvas course.  stefaniesanders​ has written a really great blog called Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content which I encourage you to take a look at over in the Instructional Designers group here in the Canvas Community.  She gives detail on how you can embed things like a form inside of your course(s).

I hope this helps, Sharron!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, saderosi​...

Here's another thought I had.  If you had the table as part of your directions (creating it as a HTML table and not an image of the table), your students may be able to highlight the cells of the table, copy it, and then paste it into the Rich Content Editor (RCE) where they would then click in the cells to add their responses.  I tried this in my Chrome browser, and it worked for the most part (although for some reason the bottom right cell doesn't seem fillable in my testing for some reason).

Another alternative would be for your students to re-create the table using the "Table" icon available in the RCE toolset...just below the bold "B" button.  This option would be a bit of extra work on the part of the student, but it would be possible.

These options might be better if you didn't want to go the route of making questions via Quizzes or using Google Forms/Docs.