Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scahoon

Formula Question Answers All Defaulted to "0"

Jump to solution

All of my QUIZZES that use formula Questions, have defaulted all answers for the variables to be 0.0,  If I go in and GENERATE again, then it fixes it, but this is time consuming for the number of questions/assessments I have.  Has anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@scahoon ,

I wish I had better news, but there is no way for Canvas to automatically fix this. The Canvas servers save the information that was delivered from the browser, but it was the code in the browsers that was sending zeros to the server. In other words, the server never got the correct information to store it. Even if Canvas saved the logs of every request so they could go back and replay them (and I think they might based on a comment I heard at InstructureCon), it won't do any good because the requests all have 0 in them and not the right answers.

You will need to go through and regenerate all of the affected questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
James
Community Champion

@scahoon ,

Did you create your questions in July? This was a known issue that was resolved on July 25, 2019. It was working properly last night, which agrees with your statement about regenerating the responses. If you're self-hosting Canvas with the open-source version, then it's possible that it took longer to get the fix installed.

Here's the discussion from July: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/36168-problem-with-formula-question 

I did make the questions this summer prior to July. I made about 300 questions this summer (or more). So will this resolve itself in my account? It is a free canvas account. I have two colleagues using the same assessments as the ones I made and need to ensure a fix. Thank you.

Please excuse errors. Sent from my iPhone.

James
Community Champion

@scahoon ,

I wish I had better news, but there is no way for Canvas to automatically fix this. The Canvas servers save the information that was delivered from the browser, but it was the code in the browsers that was sending zeros to the server. In other words, the server never got the correct information to store it. Even if Canvas saved the logs of every request so they could go back and replay them (and I think they might based on a comment I heard at InstructureCon), it won't do any good because the requests all have 0 in them and not the right answers.

You will need to go through and regenerate all of the affected questions.

0 Kudos
sschuler

I have this problem too with essay questions on quizzes.  The scores default to 0 until I manually score the questions. It only happens when I use the New Quizzes option.  I have not set up a default grade for the assignment.  Why doesn't it merely display as ungraded like other submitted assignments do?