cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victoria_richar
Community Participant

Formula Questions Filling Up to 4 Decimal Places

I'm just curious as to why, in a numerical question, does the student's answer choice automatically populate up to 4 decimal places?

For instance, if the answer is 3.6 and the instructors have said, "round to the nearest tenth", and the students insert 3.6, when they hit the next button it automatically populates to 3.6000.

This could cause students to panic because the true answer for 4 decimal places might have been 3.6213, but since they were asked to round to the nearest tenth, their answer converts to 3.6000.

Although this doesn't affect their grade, the misconception of the decimal places could cause confusion. Is there a way to keep this from happening?

3 Replies
waz107
Community Contributor

I teach statistics and also have a lot of numeric entry questions in my quizzes. I have inquired about this in the past and have been told that it cannot currently be adjusted. I just explained to my students that this is the default in Canvas. Hopefully in the future this will be something that we can adjust to avoid confusion. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@victoria_richar ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

kaw
Community Participant

I believe that CANVAS will not do it. I cannot have answers less than 10^-4 in my algorithmic questions.  Do we not live in a nanoworld?  Do we not emphasize significant digits rather than decimal digits in the computational world. And why change 2 to 2.0 when someone is giving an answer or you are showing the correct answer.  2.0 is not the way to write the integer 2.  Beats me but this is a four-year old problem.