cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

Freely configurable modules (X out of Y) for courses

How can we configure Canvas to not allow progress in the course unless X modules of the Y modules available have been completed?

I can't quite figure out how to make the mastery paths work, especially since I have students who need to complete either I, J, or K of the modules (where X > I, J, K) depending on the number of ours that they registered for in a variable credit course.

I don't mind manually splitting students into groups if I can't access that information, although if there were a way to automatically do that pulling in the hours information from Banner that would be great.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Champion

Welcome M S.  On your modules page, click on the ellipse (3 dots on the right).  Edit your module; your first module should say that the module needs to be completed in sequential order (I'm assuming).  This can be found in Requirements on your edit window.  The next modules should have a Prerequisite that students finish the module before it.    (This is a practice course and I only have 2 modules in it.)

308964_pastedImage_1.png

matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

Hi Jennifer,

That actually doesn't do what I want to do.  That just blocks access to a given module until a single previous one has been completed.

What I want is to basically have the following modules:

Course Introduction

Choice A

Choice B

Choice C

Course Conclusion

These choices are not individual assignments — they are substantially large and only make sense as full modules.  

I want the students to first go do Course Introduction, at which point Choice A,  Choice B, and Choice C open up.  That is easy enough, following the steps you've outlined.

The question is how do I lock out Course Conclusion until students have done two of the three Choices?  In other words, some students will go Intro -> A -> B -> Conclusion, but others will go  Intro -> C -> B -> Conclusion, and still others  Intro -> A -> C -> Conclusion.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @matthew-stuckwi ...

I am reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community site, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since March 27, 2019.  In looking through your conversation with  @9927744 , it looks like you were still looking for a solution at the time.  However, things may have changed since then.  Have you been able to find a solution or come up with a resolution on your own since you first posted your question?  If so, is that anything you'd be willing to share back here in this topic?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members?  Either way, we would like to hear back from you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...mainly because activity in this topic has come to a stand-still.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.

Also, on an unrelated note, I noticed that you are only displaying your initials in your name here in the Community.  The Canvas Community Managers as that each of us identify who we are using our first/last names.  Please check out the section on "Be you" for more information on how to update your name: What are the Canvas Community guidelines?

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Matthew.

matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

Hi Chris,

I have not found a solution yet except to simply open everything up and trust that students can figure things out.

If we had calculated grade columns (which Canvas *still* doesn't have, and I'm truly stupified it doesn't.  I could probably literally code it up for them in a day or two with access to the source),  I know of a number of ways that I could do it to recreate how I did it in Blackboard, or if there were options to create complex conditionals using, e.g., Javascript with access to the course data (one can dream, I suppose.)

Re the name, this post/thread is visible to the open public internet.  I don't see much of a reason for any more of my information to be shared publicly than is necessary.

matthew-stuckwi
Community Participant

I intentionally only listed my initials, and never apporved Canvas to display either my full name or my e-mail address.  However, I have logged on today to find that your message was changed to include my FULL EMAIL ADDRESS IN CLEAR TEXT.

This is absolutely unacceptable.  Remove all of my personal identifying information IMMEDIATELY.