cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmckie
Community Participant

Fudge Points for Class

Jump to solution

Is there a way to add Fudge Points to an entire class for a quiz?  Or do I have to manually add them in for every student?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ns3320
Community Contributor

Hi  @dmckie ,

Unfortunately, you'll have to manually input the fudge points for each individual student. You can also just go through the gradebook and manually input a new score for students.

You could use the "Quiz Regrade" feature to change the correct answer for a question and award students back points that way. You can also set a default grade for a quiz, but this would just give all of the students in your course the same grade as opposed to just adding a certain amount of points: How do I set a default grade for an assignment? 

Best,
Nick

View solution in original post

langlangcat
Community Contributor

Why don't you curve the quiz instead? I know some faculty export the gradebook as CSV file and batch edit the score in the CSV and reupload the gradebook. Does it worth the effort?

burgerk
Community Participant

Because Canvas is designed to literally suck time out of you. You know, remember the time you used to have to prepare fabulous lecture materials? Well, now with Canvas there is no time for that because it is so poorly designed and implemented that everything is as difficult to do as it can be. So you will spend hours banging your head against the wall trying to do something as simple as add 1 pt to everyone's quiz score. But no, that is not an obvious feature that anyone would fine useful.

p_swedlund
Community Member

I think I have a fix that works. Export the grades, add the marks in a spreadsheet, reimport then you will see in speedgrader each student has the added fudge mark.

To get the new grade to display in the grade book I had to Update the score for just one student in speedgrader. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ns3320
Community Contributor

Hi  @dmckie ,

Unfortunately, you'll have to manually input the fudge points for each individual student. You can also just go through the gradebook and manually input a new score for students.

You could use the "Quiz Regrade" feature to change the correct answer for a question and award students back points that way. You can also set a default grade for a quiz, but this would just give all of the students in your course the same grade as opposed to just adding a certain amount of points: How do I set a default grade for an assignment? 

Best,
Nick

langlangcat
Community Contributor

Why don't you curve the quiz instead? I know some faculty export the gradebook as CSV file and batch edit the score in the CSV and reupload the gradebook. Does it worth the effort?

dmckie
Community Participant

Nick,

That's a bummer, but thank you.

jhitt
Community Member

It would be an easy feature to add to allow you to adjust the quiz each quiz by 1 point.   I could do it faster in excel had I not used CANVAS.  Why not include it?

erica_wagner
Community Participant

Having to open each student page, drag the scroll slider to the bottom, move the mouse over to the fudge points box, and clicking update score for each student is really hard on my wrist (I have carpal tunnel). Any word on the progress with updating this feature yet?

burgerk
Community Participant

Because Canvas is designed to literally suck time out of you. You know, remember the time you used to have to prepare fabulous lecture materials? Well, now with Canvas there is no time for that because it is so poorly designed and implemented that everything is as difficult to do as it can be. So you will spend hours banging your head against the wall trying to do something as simple as add 1 pt to everyone's quiz score. But no, that is not an obvious feature that anyone would fine useful.

scrislee
Community Member

Is there a category other than "solved" that could be applied to this issue?  I believe many instructors would support a new feature that allowed us to add the same number of points to every student's grade in a simple manner.  Can this be moved to a category such as "under review"?  

Many people have raised issues that would be addressed by applying fudge points to all students in a course.  For example:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Extra-credit-on-exam/m-p/449326#M153321

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/fudge-points/m-p/96874

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Universal-fudge-points/m-p/230281#M128085

I respectfully ask @ns3320 @awilliams and other Surveyors to consider putting this on a list of proposed improvements.

I would like to throw in my support for developing an easy "curve" feature for grading.  This would be a great addition to the canvas platform.

p_swedlund
Community Member

I think I have a fix that works. Export the grades, add the marks in a spreadsheet, reimport then you will see in speedgrader each student has the added fudge mark.

To get the new grade to display in the grade book I had to Update the score for just one student in speedgrader. 

0 Kudos