cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexander_mitch
Community Participant

Full Snapshot of All Courses?

Jump to solution

Has anyone found a solution for externally archiving a snapshot of all courses on your instance (including enrollments/grades/etc)?

This has been a part of our (self-hosted Blackboard) institution's process for years, and it would be very good to have a similar solution for Canvas.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
gdclendenning
Community Member

This may not be what you're looking for but, on the Dashboard page off to the bottom right-hand corner below all of your To-Do tasks and Recent Feedback should be a "View Grades" button. This will take you to a page that lists all your current courses with the Average Grade for the number of students currently enrolled. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

@alexander_mitch ,

There is no single function that will do this. 

You didn't specify exactly how much you needed to archive, so let me explain some of what can be done.

You can export the content of the course, but it includes no user information: no enrollments, no submission information, no grades.

You can do the grade export report, but it just includes the final grades, not the grades on individual submissions. It does include user and enrollment data, though.

You can go into each course and request the entire gradebook be exported. It includes the scores for each assignment, but no information about submission times, which assignment group an item was in, or other things you may find relevant. It also doesn't include which grades were dropped, although it does include the grades for the different assignment groups.

You can use Canvas Data to obtain some of this information, although other parts are only available through the REST API and some may not be available at all.

You didn't mention whether you needed student submissions or not. There are options to download submissions for each assignment. Getting the responses to individual quiz questions can be challenging -- there's a CSV export, but it can be difficult to use with certain question types.

In case you haven't inferred it, you're not going to be able to recreate this is the form of a course. That is, there's nothing to say "restore this course to the way it was." We let courses soft-conclude at the end of the term and have every course going back to our first ones in Fall 2012. However, if Canvas ever goes out of business or we stop using them as an LMS, I can certainly understand why someone would want an external archive.

5 Replies
gdclendenning
Community Member

This may not be what you're looking for but, on the Dashboard page off to the bottom right-hand corner below all of your To-Do tasks and Recent Feedback should be a "View Grades" button. This will take you to a page that lists all your current courses with the Average Grade for the number of students currently enrolled. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that's an interesting feature, Gabriel, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm an administrator looking to create a complete archive of all course content in our account, including enrollments and all Gradebook information for all students in all courses.

Hello  @alexander_mitch ...

Would the "Grade Export" report have the information you are looking for?  Since you are an administrator for your school's Canvas environment, you can get this by going to "Admin" >> School Name >> "Settings" >> "Reports" tab >> "Grade Export" ("Configure..." button).  You can also click on the "?" next to "Grade Export" to see exactly what information you would get from that report.  Here is some more information for you: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12627-421480121  I hope this helps, Alexander.

James
Community Champion

@alexander_mitch ,

There is no single function that will do this. 

You didn't specify exactly how much you needed to archive, so let me explain some of what can be done.

You can export the content of the course, but it includes no user information: no enrollments, no submission information, no grades.

You can do the grade export report, but it just includes the final grades, not the grades on individual submissions. It does include user and enrollment data, though.

You can go into each course and request the entire gradebook be exported. It includes the scores for each assignment, but no information about submission times, which assignment group an item was in, or other things you may find relevant. It also doesn't include which grades were dropped, although it does include the grades for the different assignment groups.

You can use Canvas Data to obtain some of this information, although other parts are only available through the REST API and some may not be available at all.

You didn't mention whether you needed student submissions or not. There are options to download submissions for each assignment. Getting the responses to individual quiz questions can be challenging -- there's a CSV export, but it can be difficult to use with certain question types.

In case you haven't inferred it, you're not going to be able to recreate this is the form of a course. That is, there's nothing to say "restore this course to the way it was." We let courses soft-conclude at the end of the term and have every course going back to our first ones in Fall 2012. However, if Canvas ever goes out of business or we stop using them as an LMS, I can certainly understand why someone would want an external archive.

alexander_mitch
Community Participant

Thank you, this answers my question nicely.