Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arome
Community Member

GREYED ASSIGNMENTS

Jump to solution

Hi all,

On my classes' syllabi, after an assignment's due date has passed, the assignment looks grey and does not disappear from the list. It becomes very cumbersome when I have several assignments throughout the year to scroll through on my syllabi. Is there a way to make them not be visible on the syllabus after their due date?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

Does the "Jump to Today" function at least get you closer to where you need to be?

jump.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
John_Lowe
Community Champion

For students, you can just un-publish the assignment and it disappears from the Syllabus view.  As an instructor, because you have access to even unpublished items, you will still see it in your view.

arome
Community Member

Hi John. Thank you for the prompt response! But what about assignments that have submissions attached to them? I can't unpublish those.  @John_Lowe ​

However if there was a submission then canvas does not allow you to unpublish.

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

Does the "Jump to Today" function at least get you closer to where you need to be?

jump.jpg

View solution in original post

clong
Community Champion

I think  @James_Kocher_UF ​​ tip to click on the "Jump to Today" link helps. Have you noticed that you can also use the calendar that is displayed on the top right to jump to a date when there is an assignment due?

42884_pastedImage_0.png

Notice the shaded blocks on the 1st and the 19th. That indicates there is something on those days and if you click on them the Syllabus goes to that date.

I hope this helps, I think that's about the best we can do given the current feature set. I do notice, that if you have a lot of assignments in your class the Syllabus takes a long time to load and is hard to navigate. It would be great if there were some filter options on the Syllabus like show current and upcoming, past or all. And I think sorting options would also be useful. As a default, I'd like it if the Syllabus was sorted so that the most recent date was always first, rather than the oldest date, but I'm sure that would depend on how the course is setup and how the teacher uses Canvas.

Anyone want to submit a Canvas Feature Idea on this?