cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarger
Community Participant

Gauging readiness in Canvas transition?

Overall user statistics? I'm one of our Sys Admins for Canvas and we are currently going through the transition. We are trying to get a sense of where the instructors are at in terms of getting ready for a Spring launch (majority are expected to move, but not all). For those schools that made the shift in more than one semester, how did you gauge this? We got an API to look at user stats, but I'm not sure that will give us what we're looking for. We want a sense of "readiness".

I was thinking we could send out a mid semester survey and ask. But I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions.

Thanks!

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

What a great question,  @cbarger ​! I've shared it with the LMS & Migrations​, Canvas Engagement Strategies​, Higher Education​, and K-12​ groups to increase its exposure.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's what we did:

• Require online Canvas training - Canvas Instructor Training and Student Orientation​ - that has checkpoints (actual quizzes) at the end of each Module. This way we could tell which Instructors had been through the training.
  • Require each Instructor to create one of their courses (highest level of use, so if they taught online and traditional they had to build an online course) in Canvas and get it reviewed and approved by the Director of Online Learning.
  • Survey was available at the end of training asking faculty to rate how prepared they felt they were in regards to successfully using Canvas for the next semester (and how well the training prepared them) and then some feedback on any additional training/workshops they felt could help them be more prepared.
cbarger
Community Participant

Thank you for your input.

In the past we had required training for Bb, but since then, it is no longer required for instructors who decide to use the LMS. I do not believe we would be successful in mandating that requirement. There would be too much push back.

I think that a survey might fit the need and I thought about also including some feedback questions asking them about what training they feel they needed and how they would prefer the delivery of that.

Spring semester seems right around the corner, the pressure is getting intense!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Anyone following this discussion will want to RSVP to Driving Engagement Series: 3 & 4) Deploy & Engage... which is coming up this Wednesday, November 16, 2016. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.