Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsapia

Generating a "Join Code"

Jump to solution

how do i generate a course code to allow students who are not in my class, but in my club to access information I set up for them?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jolynn, and welcome to the Canvas Community of users!

If you are a student, you don't have the ability to do this within one of 'your' registered/enrolled courses. However, you could request a 'self-enrollment' 'workspace' for your club, within Canvas, either through your Student Services department, or from your eLearning department.

If you are faculty, you can request a 'self-enrollment' 'workspace' for your club, within Canvas, from your eLearning department.

Be sure to request a 'self-enrollment workspace', which requires that there be nothing entered for the 'SIS ID:' in the 'Course Details' tab under course 'Settings', and be sure to 'save' the changes... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 1

Then come back to the 'Course Details' tab, scroll down and select 'more options'... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 2

Make the selects shown below, and then scroll down and 'Update Course Details'... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 3

This will generate a shareable URL, which you can send to those intended to join, via the 'Join this Course' button... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 4

*IMPORTANT NOTE: in either case, whether you are a student or a faculty member, you typically do NOT want to mix 'self-enrollment' for club member access, with an 'Quarterly Academic' course shell, as they are two separate purposes and enrollment groups, which could very possibly create a FERPA violation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Jolynn,

If it's enabled to let you do this, here is where I'd look.  Go to your course Settings, scroll to the bottom and click the More Options link.

284182_pastedImage_1.png

Check the box to Let students self-enroll by sharing with them a secret URL.  Click the Update Course Details button and then come back to the same spot to get the URL to share.  I like to also check the Box to add a Join this course link.  This not only lets students join the course, it also allows them to leave it if they like without needing the instructor or an admin to assist.

Rick 

Hi Jolynn, and welcome to the Canvas Community of users!

If you are a student, you don't have the ability to do this within one of 'your' registered/enrolled courses. However, you could request a 'self-enrollment' 'workspace' for your club, within Canvas, either through your Student Services department, or from your eLearning department.

If you are faculty, you can request a 'self-enrollment' 'workspace' for your club, within Canvas, from your eLearning department.

Be sure to request a 'self-enrollment workspace', which requires that there be nothing entered for the 'SIS ID:' in the 'Course Details' tab under course 'Settings', and be sure to 'save' the changes... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 1

Then come back to the 'Course Details' tab, scroll down and select 'more options'... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 2

Make the selects shown below, and then scroll down and 'Update Course Details'... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 3

This will generate a shareable URL, which you can send to those intended to join, via the 'Join this Course' button... see below.

Self-Enroll setup, step 4

*IMPORTANT NOTE: in either case, whether you are a student or a faculty member, you typically do NOT want to mix 'self-enrollment' for club member access, with an 'Quarterly Academic' course shell, as they are two separate purposes and enrollment groups, which could very possibly create a FERPA violation.