cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BROEKERC
Community Participant

Global Announcements Guidelines

Hello.  Does anyone have guidelines for content of global announcements?  Recently I've gotten a number or requests for special announcements to be listed as global announcements.  I try to limit the them but if anyone has guidelines used at your institution that you would be willing to share I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

-Christine

Tags (1)
8 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

BROEKERC, great question! Since the ability to create global announcements is largely limited to admins, I've shared your question with the Canvas Admins​ group. And, since it's unlikely to elicit just one "correct" answer, I've changed the format to a discussion.

Nope: sadly, since someone has clicked "I have the same question," I can no longer change the format. :smileyplain:  But I have shared it. Smiley Happy

BROEKERC
Community Participant

Thanks stefaniesanders !

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

BROEKERC, we don't have any official guidelines, but we definitely try to use it sparingly. As in we have a beginning of the semester reminder and an end of the semester reminder and that's about it unless something big happens or needs to be communicated with students.

If it's a general information, update, news, etc (especially from a different area on campus) we tend to send these out as messages through the Canvas inbox.

josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hi Deactivated user​, I would second what  @kona ​ said about this, less is more when it comes to global announcements. We have just started using Canvas at our institution and I can imagine that some guidelines are in the works for them, but nothing is come up yet.

Things like general news items we put through the regular institution channels, not through Canvas. Advertising for events we usually leave to the individual course conveners to send out based on their subjects interest to the topic and relevance. Global announcements generally seem to be reserved for high-profile events or news, and depending on your setup, these may just be related to Canvas. The other thing is that if there are quite a few global announcements, they would lose their importance and be more likely to be disregarded by students as another message.

The inbox as suggested by  @kona ​ seems to be the most logical answer to the smaller announcements if your instiution does not have an official line of communication with students outside of Canvas. If I see any guidelines at my institution I will post what I can here, but in the meantime hopefully what I have said helps somewhat.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi BROEKERC​...

We don't really have any written guidelines for Global Announcements at our Technical College, but we do try and limit the amount of announcements we post...as it can get too overwhelming for our faculty.  Here are some examples of things I will post as Global Announcements for our faculty and adjuncts:

• Beta Release Notes ... a summary of the beta release notes and a link to them here in the Canvas Community.  Note that if you do this, you should put some kind of disclaimer in your announcement that says your summary is subject to change and that your instructors should refer to the official beta notes for any changes/revisions.
  • Production Release Notes ... we typically will post a link to these release notes along with the video from Deactivated user​ for our instructors to watch.
  • Important information about Canvas ... an example recently is where we posted an announcement for both instructors and students about some issues that surfaced recently with the IE11 and Edge browsers in Windows 10.  We felt it was best to share the information we received from Instructure with people to let them know of the issue and what steps they could take on their end to continue to have a good Canvas experience.
  • Helpful hints and tricks ... occasionally we'll post a tip or trick that might help an instructor in his/her Canvas course.
  • Contests ... we have held contests for our faculty using Global Announcements.  The instructions are specific enough that instructors need to do something (fill out a form, answer questions, post a message to our private group, etc) in order to enter for a chance to win.  We run these contests for about a week or two at a time.
  • Links to blog posts from our faculty on how they are using Canvas.
  • Beginning/End of the Semester Reminders

We time our announcements so they are usually only displaying for a week or so...depending on the need.  Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Since we can't switch this over to a discussion instead of a question, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as assumed answered. Yet, people should feel free to chime in if they have any experience or information to share on this topic.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

We try to use it sparingly. It's for announcements that impact students and teachers in Canvas and not for items that are sent via the university's mass email communication.

For example:

• We have one running now regarding the recent IE/Edge attachment issue as we're about to start finals. (Set to send to all).
  • We'll also have one right before we get ready to change to the new UI between semesters. (Set to send to all).
  • A short review of the Production Release Notes that will impact our Teachers (Teachers, TAs).