cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fenstermaker_an
Community Participant

Google Doc--> Real Time View of Work

Jump to solution

Many teachers have asked if there is a way to work with Google Docs in Canvas much like Google Classroom. They are able to create an assignment where the submission type is an external tool and a Google Doc Cloud assignment. This will automatically make a copy of the Google Doc for each student. However, the only way for a teacher to see what students have done on the Google Doc is for the student to turn in the Google Doc. The problem is it submits it into Canvas as a .docx format. The teacher is able to see whatever the student has completed to that time stamp, but unable to see the students work in real time. The student will always have to submit the Google Doc again and again as they make changes. In Google Classroom, if you make a copy for each student, you are able to click on the copied Google Doc for each student and see them working in real time. Is there a way to do this within Canvas so that teachers can click on the student's file and see them working in real time? 

12 Replies
rislis
Community Champion

This has been a long time complaint of teachers leaving Google Classroom. 

The only alternatives I have found that could possibly work:

1. Using Collaborations:  To view student Google Docs before submission or to make edits that the student can see, you can create a Collaboration. It's basically like the student sharing the editing rights with you, but all managed through Canvas instead. The bad part is that you'd have a single collaboration for each student in your course and I can't see how grades could be submitted through Speedgrader.

2. Having students share each document with teachers and use the URL as an online text entry submission.

Nightmare for a teacher's Drive. Cumbersome for kids to do.

3. Using the KAMI External Tool Assignment, but it still requires students to submit and resubmit.

This one's tough. I'd really love some better alternatives!
gloriabryant11
Community Member

How do I put in a beta request?  As a middle school English teacher who used Google Classroom, I loved being able to work with students in "real time" on their google doc writing assignments.  This is the main feature that we miss as we all transitioned over to canvas during this remote learning time.  Being able to rapidly open one student's google doc as s(he) is working on it, comment, then move on to the next student...is really important to us, especially while teaching synchronously online (and especially for struggling writers).

hilgerst
Community Participant

I just wanted to reiterate how important this future is, particularly to elementary teachers.  Teaching online, it is so hard to actually help students.  This feature allows us to see what students are doing instanteanously.

Also, submitting assignments is very difficult for elementary students.  With Google Classrooms, you have always access to student's work and can see it even if they forget to submit it.  Can Canvas make these improvements?