cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eunice_h_chu
Community Member

Google Drive Authorization Failed

Jump to solution

I'm trying to access my google drive but everytime I click on it, it say "Authorize".  When I click on "Authorize" I repeatedly get a message that says "Authorization failed. Please click "Authorize" to try again.

You need to authorize this integration in order to use it.

Please sign in to your Google account and authorize this integration."

I've tried clearing browsing history, disabling cache, clearing cookies (sorry i dont' know if that's the correct terminology but I've done it all).  Nothing seems to be working.  HELP!google drive authorization

35 Replies
jtomaszewski
Community Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. We used to have our students do this then changed to the Google Cloud Assignments to eliminate the need for all the extra steps. It has generally worked very well with a few challenges. The issue described above relates to one student that shows an authorization failure when trying to view any Google Cloud Assignments or files. I'm still holding out for a fix since the new system is still significantly better for our students than the upload options. Thanks.

Jeremy

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@clong , when you customized the XML, were students getting errors accessing Google Drive when it was a tab in a Cloud Assignment AND when the tried to access Google Drive from the course navigation? I don't think we want to remove Google Drive from the course nav, but we are running into issues with it in the assignment tab.

clong
Community Champion

No they were not, but apparently my XML fix didn't work as students are seeing the Google Drive Tab in Assignment submissions once more

labrewster
Community Participant

@erin_keefe_1 ‌ (and others) We are also experiencing this issue at my school as well.  It's approximately 2-3 students per class period.  We are also a 1:1 #chromebook school.  We've tried the following steps: 1) Clearing cache on the Chromebook 2) Resetting the Chromebook 3) Removing the Google LTI out of the user's account in both Canvas and Google 4) Removing the Google Drive Approved Integration in the user's account in Canvas & lastly 5) Removing the Canvas App in the user's Google Account apps tab.  Typically, this worked for the majority of students as they had used their personal accounts on their Chromebooks.  However, there are still those 2-3 students that we can't quite figure out where the disconnect is between the Google LTI Assignment that is distributed to the student from the teacher through the #external_tools Tools and Canvas.  Additionally, when I look at the student's Google Drive to try to find the file that was assigned through Canvas, it doesn't exist.  So, essentially, it's like that Canvas isn't even "giving them a copy" of the assignment, which is technically what it's supposed to do through the use of the External Tools, Google Drive LTI in an Assignment.  

I contacted support, but haven't heard any updates just yet.  Any word on a status update or a fix from anyone else in this group?

Typically, when we run into the login issue, it's resolved by having users open google in another window, logging out of their google account and then going back into Google Drive. What we are running into instead, is the endless spinning wheel and Google Drive doesn't load. I did have a teacher who had 6 students in the same class who could not open her cloud assignment. Canvas Support identified it as a browser issue, and those students were using computers that had older versions of Chrome and Firefox. She was going to work with the tech teacher at that school. I haven't heard back so I'm not actually clear if that resolved the issue and it's only been brought to our attention by one teacher in our district. The other issue is the the Google Doc/Google Drive tabs that show up in an assignment submission. The Google Drive tab shows the endless wheel, but the Google Doc tab pulls up student's file directory with no issue.

Hi Audra,

I also attempted the sign-out/sign-in from the Google Account with students.  It didn't work.  In addition, like I mentioned previously, I also disconnected the Google LTI Integration from both Canvas and the user's Google account, cleared the cache, updated the device, reset the history, and then re-authenticated both Canvas and Google.  We are still seeing the spinning wheel and it will not load for the student.

Additionally, if you go into the student's #GoogleDrive‌ you can't find where Canvas was supposed to have created a copy of the Assignment for the student, as it should, when using the Assignments - External Tool feature.  With the #GoogleAppsLTI‌ it is supposed to automatically create a folder for that course in which it places copies of those assignments provided to students when using the #Assignment‌ and #external_tools‌ but it's not doing this.

----

I've also contacted CanvasSupport‌ .  Below, you'll find their responses to me: 

1 of 2 Responses: "Looking into this behavior I was able to find that we have an open engineering ticket for this behavior and that our engineers are currently looking into the cause of this behavior. If you can, please provide me with a list of students who are experiencing this behavior and the assignments they are experiencing this behavior with and I can get those passed into the engineering ticket for our engineers to review. Once I have the list of students and assignments I can attach this case to the engineering ticket. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns." on 11/15/17 

2 of 2 Responses: " have taken a look into the ticket we have open with our engineers and can see that research is still being performed to identify what the underlying root of the issue is. We are working on identifying a common theme among these submissions. As of right now we do not have an ETA on a resolution.  
I know this is frustrating and I can assure you that our engineers are diving into this. Your case has been attached to the engineering ticket and you will receive information as it becomes available. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact Canvas Support. We are here 24/7.."

----

That's all I can share for now...

I'm hoping someone will find the root cause of the issue and be able to post their findings or share it here.  

I am facing this exact issue with a student. 

jdyra
Community Member

Hi Leigh, did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm working with a couple students facing this as well and am hoping I can learn from your fixes Smiley Happy 

labrewster
Community Participant

Hi Jamie!  Yes!  Finally!  Canvas Support and my CSM got it figured out.  Please reach out to Canvas Support and follow up with an email to your account CSM with the case number.  Support should be able to look into it and your CSM can help to keep it at the forefront and get it resolved.  Let me know if you aren't successful.  Maybe we can talk through it a little and see if there's something else going on..Thanks!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @eunice_h_chu ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since December 15, 2017.  It looks like there was an active discussion happening here about similar issues that you were experiencing (and also possible solutions).  Have you been able to get this issue resolved?  If so, would you be wiling to share your resolution with us?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that one of the above replies from Community members has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark that response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please let us know that as well by posting a message below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below related to this subject.  I hope that's okay with you, Eunice.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.