cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dejonghed07
Community Champion

Google Drive LTI: Account Level & Courses

Hi Everyone,

What are your experiences after installing the Google Drive LTI at the Account level when you already have it installed in some courses?

@ndemas  mentioned in one of the *Google LTI Series Videos* that having the Google Drive LTI installed in a course and also at the account level will result in 2 instances. 

• What does that mean, exactly?
  • Do users just disable the course-level App and everything works fine?
  • Does it negatively affect any Google Drive content in the course?

*Google LTI Series: Assignments Simplified or Google LTI Series: Accessing Your Assets, or *

Thank you!

7 Replies
ndemas
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Denise,

When Google LTI is added at the root or sub-account level, all items downstream will have access to the app. When one adds Google LTI to a course, it affects only that course. Adding the app at the course level if the app is already added at a sub or root account level will result in the app showing up within a course twice. There will also be a duplicate app if one installs Google App in a course before the app is added within a root or sub-account. By duplicate, I mean that you will see Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu twice and you will see Google App in the Rich Content Editor twice. The solution to this is to simply remove Google App from the course. I have done so without consequence. 

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Thank you,  @ndemas ! We're looking forward to using Google Drive at the account level. I'll probably have more questions in the fall. Smiley Happy

Good luck, Denise. I think you will find that the Google LTI Series does a great job providing you with an overview of how to use Google in the classroom. I would definitely play around with some different ideas. I recently built a course, added each student to one Collaboration via Google Docs, and embedded those Collaborations (Docs) on Content Pages specific to each student with the idea of creating a live and public course journal. 

dejonghed07
Community Champion

That's a great idea for journals! We're currently using the Google Drive LTI in a training course for faculty and they're designing their courses using Google Sheets (Collaborations). It's working well so far! I do notice that it adds more comments to respond to (via Google Drive rather than just communicating through Canvas tools).

dejonghed07
Community Champion

I meant to ask - is there an easy way to send the Google Drive LTI playlist to users who are not in the Canvas Community? I've been sending some of the videos separately and can't find one location that includes the entire playlist.

Thanks!

I found this link by going through the training portal. Let me know if it works: https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/canvaslive/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublishe... 

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Thanks! The link works and will be very helpful!!!