cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hesspe
Community Champion

Google Drive LTI and Group Assignments

We have installed the Google Drive LTI.

Although the documentation is very clear that "External Tool" assignments can't be group assignments, nowhere could I find documented that when the Submission Type is a "file upload", a document cannot be submitted from Google Drive as a group assignment.  Nothing in the interface seems suggests this won't work.  The Google Drive tab appears for the student, and if selected she can select from her Google Drive docs. However when tried, the "submitted" document does not appear in SpeedGrader and there is no sign in the grade book that there has been a submission. The student who attempted to submit the document receives no message suggesting that the submission failed.

Some relevant documentation is here: How do I upload a file from Google Drive as an assignment submission in Canvas?

My questions:  Is this expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong?  

I'd like to know if either of these are the case before filing a ticket.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hesspe , this is an interesting question and in the past my students were able to submit to a group assignment from their Google Drive. Yet, it has been a while since I’ve had them do this, so something might have changed. My recommendation, if you haven’t already, is to go ahead and submit the help ticket. 

Kona

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hesspe ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

nlatimer
Community Champion

@hesspe did you ever get an answer on this? We are now encountering the same problem. I have submitted a ticket on it.

hesspe
Community Champion

Hi nlatimer‌ No I never received a reply but that's on me because I dropped the ball on it and never filed a ticket.  Thank you for doing that. 

(Including  @Robbie_Grant ‌ here, in case the continuing discussion is of interest, though I imagine filing a ticket takes it to a different realm.)

nlatimer
Community Champion

Thanks for letting me know,  @hesspe . I will let you know the status of the ticket, but I have a strong feeling that you are right and that the Google LTI does not work with group assignments at all. 

nlatimer
Community Champion

Hi  @hesspe and anyone else interested,

I have been informed that there is already an open engineering ticket regarding this and that I would be receiving updates as information becomes available.

The workaround in the meantime for Canvas group assignments is to download the Google Doc as a PDF and submit that as a file upload to the assignment.

Thank you for steering me in the right direction  @hesspe