cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Google LTI Forms

Jump to solution

Not sure where to post this as I cannot add comments to the release. Not able to embed or link to Google Forms. Anyone confirm or dispute this?

Thanks

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Embedding works perfectly well for Microsoft forms 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @GideonWilliams ‌...

Sounds like you're correct.  I tried connecting my own Google account (via LTI) to Canvas, and I could not view any of the Google Forms that were in my account within Canvas.  I think it would only list Word Processed files, Spreadsheets, and Presentation Slides.  My theory (and it's a weak theory at best) is that it is displaying files an not forms.  I don't know if a form is really considered a "file" in the world of Google.  In looking at these couple Canvas Guides, it's referring to "file" or "files", and there isn't any mention of forms: How do I view my Google Drive files in Canvas? and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1885 

Hope this helps.

And there again is my frustration! 

You can embed forms from Google by copying the code. If you are going to have an embed feature why not have it working for all Google files you keep in the cloud.

It works for PDF files!?

Mind you at least there is an embed feature - unlike..... #stillnotoverit

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @GideonWilliams ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because it's been about two months since any new postings to this particular conversation.  Have you been able to find any other solutions since you and I last communicated about this?  If so, would you be willing to share?  If you want to mark my answer as "Correct", that's okay with me.  For now, because there hasn't been any recent activity here, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you, Gideon.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

@chofer  unlike your experience, I was able to find the form in my LTI list of Google docs (accessed from the Rich Content Editor), but the icon was for a document and not a form. When I embedded, students viewing the page see a message "This content cannot be displayed in a frame" with a link to open it in a separate window.  The form does open correctly in a new window using the link.

Clearly the form can be displayed in a Frame since the older "Send" and then copy the embed code for a form still works fine.  Something is wrong with the security of displaying the form using this new method.  Well the Canvas documentation does say "document, slide presentation, or spreadsheet" so I guess other types of files aren't included.

cmiller5
Community Member

Has this been solved, and if so, how do I do this?  I am new to Canvas, and have a lot of tests/quizzes already created in Google Forms.  How do I link this so my students can access them, and will the grades import into Canvas?  Do I set this as an assignment or quiz?  Many thanks for any input!

@cmiller5 ‌...

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on this for you...I don't work at Instructure.  My guess would be that, no, there hasn't been any new development on this.  However, in reviewing the above responses, I still think my initial reply would hold true (in my own testing at least).  If you wanted to see something like this developed, I would suggest submitting a new Feature Idea here in the Community.  I tried searching for similar ideas, but I really didn't find anything.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Embedding works perfectly well for Microsoft forms 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I believe a custom LTI Provider program must be written to implement automatic posting of Google Forms scores to the Canvas LMS.   The main issue I foresee would be whether or not only the most recent score would be posted.  A record of previous scores could be kept in the Comments field which is accessible by Speed Grader and visible to students if they click the small icon in their Grades display.  I'd love to have this capability myself, but looks like there's a LOT to know to create such a Provider, including the ins-and-outs of working with OAuth 2.0.