Google & Parent Observer

Jump to solution
sembry
Community Participant

I have a couple of questions I hope to get some clarity on concerning Google and the parent observer accounts. The first question is do parent observer accounts take on the same permissions as the student they are observing? I know we can set the permissions for observer on the Canvas admin side but specifically concerning Google Docs what do these permissions look like. Second question, if a parent tries to view a Google Doc assignment in Canvas and it asks them to authorize, should they be able to see the document (shared only with members within the organization) by authorizing a personal gmail account? In Google admin console the setting for accounts outside the domain are turned off. So really they are the same question just trying to understand how Google and Canvas are communicating.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi Sembry, 

In our district, parent Observers cannot access the Google Docs posted in Canvas, because our Google instance is limited to student and staff accounts only.   We did let parents know that they would not be able to access some things posted in Canvas (most any of the integrated tools)
     (And Test Student / Student View also is blocked from Google because that "fake" account doesn't have a school district google account either).

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post