cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
millar
Community Participant

Gradebook History - Dispute

Can the Gradebook History be used to help a dispute between the instructor and the student if the student says they submitted the assignments but the course does not have anything?
More specifically, in the Gradebook History for this particular student there are four separate entries, each with a Before value of "-", an After value of, say, 0/25, and a Current grade of 0/25.  

If the student hadn't submitted anything would this be an accurate display in the Gradebook History, or would there be nothing at all?

Thanks,

David Millar,

Midland University

5 Replies
millar
Community Participant

Update - The instructor did enter a "0" for each of those grades, which is why they're appearing at all.  I might assume, then, that when a student does not submit anything that nothing appears in the history, correct?

Thanks,

Dave

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@millar ‌, whenever I had a student maintain that they had uploaded or otherwise submitted to an assignment, I asked the student to initiate a support ticket so an admin could have a look at the page-by-page activity on the User Details page for the time period in question. At my school, we had an online support department that triaged tickets before they were escalated to Canvas Support, so this would have been handled entirely at the local level by a person in online support with admin access. In the overwhelming majority of cases it turned out that the student had not even been on that particular assignment page, ever, or had indeed uploaded or submitted something—but to the wrong course.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

In addition, before getting to the "submit a ticket" point, I'd ask the student to send me a screenshot of the confirmation at the upper right of the Assignment page that is depicted in the View Submission section of How do I submit an online assignment? Very often, that would be the end of the dispute. If the student still maintained that they had completed the assignment, we'd move to the ticket request.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @millar  

stefaniesanders‌ is correct.  As the Canvas Admin at our school we get this all the time as term-end nears; and when we check the students page-views, we almost always see what she saw (see what she saw on the seesaw) - they weren't there. We usually check a few days on both sides, then cut out that section of the report and send it to the teacher without making any judgement call - just a this is what we found.

Most fun is when the student is standing there watching us, not realizing that in this brave new world the software captures everything they do. Most often, they just drop it, because they know it's hopeless. We call it the "Blame the computer syndrome".

Kelley

millar
Community Participant

Thank you, Stephanie! I've never used the User Details page, but just

found the Page Views resource. I think I have some more researching to do

with this new-found (for me, at least) tool, but this is awesome. Thanks!

(I am one of two Canvas admins at our school (very part-time) and enjoy

learning new tools to help.)

Dave

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>