Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craiggines
Community Participant

Gradebook Question

In the grade book after I have weighted all my assignments it shows the heading

ie homework 5%

quizzes 40%

whatever etc... now these show up in my grade book which is great, however when I create a quiz and publish it, with an open and end date and time, that also shows up in my grade book and I don't want those quizzes or assignments to show up I just want the original headings with the weighting showing only, now I thought maybe it a reminder type issue because I put a due date and time, so I went back and I removed the due dates and open dates, but it still shows in my grade book. I have spoken to other teachers who have created quizzes, but they did not add due dates or open dates at all so is it a reminder issue like I thought or is it something else.screen shot of my grade book first two boxes about student name and SIS are fine but I want the next 7 boxes not to show up

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@craiggines , Grades in Canvas is going to show all graded assignments, as well as the assignment group grade and total grade. Having a due date or open date doesn’t impact this. If anything it could be not having the assignment published (it won’t show up in the gradebook) versus publishing the assignment (it will show up in the gradebook). 

As as a teacher myself I want to see my full gradebook. Is there a reason that you don’t want to see all of the grades for your class in one place like this?

craiggines
Community Participant

I want to see it all as well, this is purely administrative personnel trying to see if they can get a nice neat clean page to look at. Maybe this function can be added so just the cumulative scores for each section can be generated for a report?

If you’d like to recommend this feature you can do it in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=522bd858-1190-448a-a396-3558f0198...‌ area of the Community. Otherwise I’d tell them to download the results to CSV and tweak as desired. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @craiggines ‌

I would not favor a gradebook that only displayed the cumulative points for assignment groups.  As a teacher, I need to monitor student scores on individual graded activities that contributed to those totals, and I feel strongly that students also need to be able to monitor their individual scores that contribute to their final grades.

From a teacher perspective, I would support a toggle to change views in the gradebook, but find no real need I would ever have for just viewing the assignment group totals. Neatness does not win over functionality for me.

Kelley

craiggines
Community Participant

Like I said this question was asked of me by administration, I am a teacher as well, I want to see all grades too. I was checking to see if there is an option to have the grade book show just a neat column of 4 or 5 columns showing each students cumulative grade as the year progresses, it’s not for me. My HoD was asking so I asked.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @craiggines ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since January 22, 2018.  I understand that you're asking the question on behalf of someone else at your school.  Do you feel that the above answers from  @kona ‌ and  @kmeeusen  have helped to answer your question?  Are there any outstanding questions you have as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that Kona's or Kelley's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark that reply as "Correct".  However, if you're still looking for a solution, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Craig.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

For those reading these replies,  @craiggines  had asked an additional question that did not relate to this topic, so I branched it out to a new topic...which you can find here: Becoming an Admin of a Canvas Account.  I hope that's alright with you, Craig.

Craig's response to my check-in earlier today re: Gradebook Question: "Yes thank you it answered my question."

craiggines
Community Participant

Yes no problem at all thank you 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone