cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acreek
Community Participant

Gradebook Setup question

Jump to solution

In our Nursing department, the grade book has three groups, assignments, exams and the final exam. They are weighted at 10%, 60% and 30% respectively. Students must achieve a 77% average for the two exam groups before the assignments group is added in. Students who do not achieve 77%, do not receive credit for the assignments. There are a few students in some classes who do not meet this threshold. How do we set the assignment group to only include the points for those students who have 77% or more in the exams. The assignment grades are not added until after the final exam is complete and graded. 

Thanks!

Karen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@acreek , short answer is that you can’t program or set this up to happen automatically. The Instructor would have to wait until the end of the semester and then only put in assignment points for the students who got a 77% or higher for the two exam groups.

If you need to document the grade for both those who get 77% and above and those that don’t then I would recommend two assignments in the assignment group - an above 77% homework asssignment and a below 77% homework assignment. Then check the box for the below 77% homework assignment to not count toward the final grade. The teacher would then put each students grade in the appropriate assignment - based on their exam grades and put an EX for the other assignment to excuse it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@acreek , short answer is that you can’t program or set this up to happen automatically. The Instructor would have to wait until the end of the semester and then only put in assignment points for the students who got a 77% or higher for the two exam groups.

If you need to document the grade for both those who get 77% and above and those that don’t then I would recommend two assignments in the assignment group - an above 77% homework asssignment and a below 77% homework assignment. Then check the box for the below 77% homework assignment to not count toward the final grade. The teacher would then put each students grade in the appropriate assignment - based on their exam grades and put an EX for the other assignment to excuse it. 

View solution in original post

acreek
Community Participant

Kona,

Thank you for the quick response. Your solution will work for us – I appreciate the help!

Karen

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it will work and thank you for letting me know!