Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alfredo_alcanta
Community Contributor

Graded Discussions

Are we able to set up Canvas in a way that allows students choose from several graded discussion topics but have the grades for each of those options go into the gradebook for just one discussion grade for that week?

Thanks!

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@alfredo_alcanta , Canvas doesn't have this option for discussions, but yes, you can sort of do this in a few different ways:

• Create your discussions for each week and tell students to only participate in ONE of the discussions. That is the one that gets graded. As long as there is no grade for the other discussion (so no zero, just a blank) then it doesn't hurt the student's grade. To make sure students who don't participate in any discussions get their zero in the gradebook you would need to go through and make sure each student participated in one of the discussions and if they didn't then enter in a zero for that discussion. As a side note, you could also enter in an EX (excused) as the grade for the discussions that students didn't participate in. That way it's clear that the student didn't participate in that discussion and didn't have to. [Involves multiple discussions showing up in the gradebook for each week - for student and teacher.]
  • Use something like this - Hacking Mastery Paths‌ - so that students pick the discussion they want to participate in and that's the only one that shows up for them.  [Involves multiple discussions showing up in the gradebook for each week - for teacher only.]
  • Create different Group Sets for each week (Week 1, Week 2, etc) and then create groups within each set that correspond to a different discussion topic. Example groups for Week 1: Week 1 Discussion A, Week 1 Discussion B, Week 1 Discussion C. Provide information on what the question is for each discussion and then allow students to sign-up for their own group (discussion). This is done so each student picks what discussion they want to talk about. Then create one discussion and set it up for groups - and select the group set for that week. What that does is make it so there is one "discussion," but within that one discussion each group can only see and interact with fellow group members. That means you essentially have X number of discussion topics being talked about in one discussion and there is no overlap in discussion the different topics. You as an Instructor would have the option to flip between the different topics and respond to students. [Involves one discussion showing up in the gradebook for each week.] Below are some guides that provide information on how to set this up.

I hope one of these ideas will work for you!

Kona

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @alfredo_alcanta  

I like Kona's idea, but I use a slightly different process. I actually create several potential topics in one single discussion, then instruct students to choose the one they want to do, and Identify it in the first line of their reply.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Now that I thought of it, I'm actually considering the third option! 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

I also like that option, except that I just like to keep my setup as simple as possible; being very simple-minded and all that!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ditto, but it has some merit and would at least keep it down to one discussion board in the gradebook each week. 

alfredo_alcanta
Community Contributor

Thanks Kona for the detailed feedback!

I'm also looking into creating an assignment group for that weeks discussions and dropping the lowest scores. I'll have to think about the best option.

Thanks again!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@alfredo_alcanta ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie