Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rake_9
Community Champion

Grades Missing and then Reappearing

Jump to solution

Colleagues,

I have a sanity-check sort of question. I have an instructor who reports that he entered some scores from an in-class assignment directly into his Canvas gradebook; the scores disappeared, but then they returned. I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with this kind of thing.  (Remember, I said this was a sanity-check question! Stick with me.)

He is working with 2 courses.  Both are large and have multiple sections. There are multiple instructors in the course.

He was entering scores for only some sections.  He reports that he entered scores for 1 section in each of the 2 courses.  Eleven days later, he went back to one of the courses to find that the scores for that assignment were blank.  Because the course is large, the grade log in the course is not useful (Grrr!), so he contacted us to check the log available from the sub-account.  We spent a lot of time cross-checking and did not find any scores that had been entered and then removed. This seems to eliminate one of the other instructors removing the scores as the cause of the problem.

We reported back that we could see no evidence of scores having been entered and removed, which did not make him happy.  Yesterday, he contacted us again to stay that he returned to the course to re-enter the data (having re-collected the paper quizzes from the students) and found that the missing scores had re-appeared.

The obvious answer here, of course, is user-error.  In our old LMS (D2L), the explanation would most likely have been that he forgot to click Save after completing the data entry; that source of error is not applicable in the Canvas gradebook. The other obvious answer is that when he looked the second time, he was looking at a different section and so did not see what he was looking for.

Is there any other explanation that - as a new Admin for Canvas - I don't know to think about?

There are a couple of discussions in the community (https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/9808 and https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/12110) that mention grades going missing, but the use-cases are not similar.  

Thank you for any insight you might have.

1 Solution
bkeith
Community Member

We have an instructor reporting the same thing.  Two students in a class of 40 had grades missing for an assignment that the instructor said they graded for everyone in the class.  The next day we returned to the grades and the grades for those two students were there.  No one made any changes to the grades for that assignment between those two days, which was confirmed by the grade history.  

Did you find the cause or a solution?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
johnmartin
Community Champion

I'm proposing the creation of ahttps://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9009-large-class-instruction-group" modifiedtitle="true" title... in the Canvas Community to gather and share discussions with a large class focus. Please consider voting the idea up! Thanks!

bkeith
Community Member

We have an instructor reporting the same thing.  Two students in a class of 40 had grades missing for an assignment that the instructor said they graded for everyone in the class.  The next day we returned to the grades and the grades for those two students were there.  No one made any changes to the grades for that assignment between those two days, which was confirmed by the grade history.  

Did you find the cause or a solution?

jdoyle2

Hello,

I too have a couple of teachers who entered grades which then disappeared and then reappeared after they logged out and back in again.  Any suggestions or what to look for and any explanation as to why this is happening?

emileerummel
Community Member

I had this happen once before with an instructor and we deemed it a user error. We decided she was clicking on the cells to get the grading box to pop up and then not hitting update grade. But now we have had it happen again with a different instructor who has quite a few graders working for him in Canvas. But of course we cannot see the grading history because it's a large class. We would also like an answer if someone has any suggestions on how to even dive into this issue.

miller_4962

I have had several reports this semester of grades disappearing in gradebooks of large courses.  I cannot find a pattern as to what might be causing it.  Sometimes it seems to be all the grades for an assignments in a section disappear, sometimes it is all the grades in a category for a particular student disappear, and sometimes it is reports of individual grade items disappearing.  All of these courses have lots of students (usually over 200), multiple sections, and at least some grades updated by LTI.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

I had a teacher report this today. He had entered grades at home last night, and when he opened his course this morning the grades weren't there. While on the phone, he listed names of students who didn't have grades, but I was able to see grades in my view of his gradebook. When he refreshed the screen, the grades appeared. Its not an especially large course - 60 students in 2 sections.

It almost sounds as if a cached version of the page was originally being displayed, and when he refreshed, the current version was able to display. I have had weird things happen occasionally in Chrome, specifically in the Grades page, where my most recently entered grades don't display unless I refresh.

kmtraylor

I have had 3 teachers this semester also report the same issue. I had them report the issue to canvas who in turn asked them for a screen shot. We could not screenshot any item from the gradebook since it was gone. Very frustrating especially since this was a relatively new user.  Then canvas simply marked the item as resolved when we had no resolution. In her situation, it was an actual canvas quiz that auto graded. THe whole quiz disappeared after they took it. 

Hi Kelly,

This is a delayed response, but I had a somewhat related situation occur this week. An instructor contacted me in a panic, because all of his students' course totals, in both classes that ended in December had changed since he submitted grades to our SIS on December 18. I investigated, and found that in both classes, he had given one student an extension on the class due to medical reasons. When he set up the due dates for the these students to take the final exams late, rather than adding an Assign-to block, he just "repurposed" the original one, changing "Everyone" to just the student with the extension and updating the available and due dates.

What this did was pull everyone else's grades out of the Grades page, which resulted in significant changes in the total grades. (Both classes used weighted categories.)

The good news is, I was able to see the quiz attempts still listed on the quiz moderation page, and when I put back assignment to everyone (everyone else), the grades went back into the Grades page.

0 Kudos
adalisb22

When i log in to canvas my grade tends to disappear and I email the teacher to see whats going on with canvas because i like to keep myself informed of how i am doing in class. Sometimes the teacher would tell me she had trouble submitting grades. The teacher was able to get the problem solved of fixing canvas, she would manage to keep us updated about canvas working again. 

0 Kudos