cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ana_pino
Community Participant

Grades for deleted students.

Jump to solution

Is it possible to see the grades of students that had enrollments to a course before being deleted?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@ana_pino ​,

I'm not sure if we're speaking the same terminology, but a deleted enrollment is not the same as a concluded or an inactive enrollment. Canvas has a document Canvas Enrollment Status Comparison that explains the difference.

In particular, says "Deleted enrollments are students whose entire enrollment has been removed from a course. Students do not have any record of participation in the course. Users with admin permissions can include deleted enrollments when generating reports in Account Settings."

I'm going to answer the question as if you actually meant "deleted" in the technical sense, not just deleted as in "gone from the course", which could be deleted, concluded, or inactive depending on how your school has things set up.

If you enroll the student with an active status that they will get added back with any previously completed work intact. We rely on this for students who get dropped in the first two weeks (who are deleted) vs students dropped after that (who are concluded, but inactive might be an option). If it's been more than a week, we've gone into our beta instance to reinstate a student who had been deleted (not concluded) so that they didn't get any notifications or see the course in their list and then we can get access to their grades and other work.

If you really did mean "concluded" or "inactive", then there are less extreme measures (like checking a box) for viewing their information.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think it depends on when they were deleted, but you should be able to go to Grades and click on the gear icon (upper right) and click on "Show concluded enrollments." I know when I do this I can see the students that were dropped from my course and their grades.

James
Community Champion

@ana_pino ​,

I'm not sure if we're speaking the same terminology, but a deleted enrollment is not the same as a concluded or an inactive enrollment. Canvas has a document Canvas Enrollment Status Comparison that explains the difference.

In particular, says "Deleted enrollments are students whose entire enrollment has been removed from a course. Students do not have any record of participation in the course. Users with admin permissions can include deleted enrollments when generating reports in Account Settings."

I'm going to answer the question as if you actually meant "deleted" in the technical sense, not just deleted as in "gone from the course", which could be deleted, concluded, or inactive depending on how your school has things set up.

If you enroll the student with an active status that they will get added back with any previously completed work intact. We rely on this for students who get dropped in the first two weeks (who are deleted) vs students dropped after that (who are concluded, but inactive might be an option). If it's been more than a week, we've gone into our beta instance to reinstate a student who had been deleted (not concluded) so that they didn't get any notifications or see the course in their list and then we can get access to their grades and other work.

If you really did mean "concluded" or "inactive", then there are less extreme measures (like checking a box) for viewing their information.

View solution in original post

ana_pino
Community Participant

Hi James,

Thank you for your answer.

I was unclear in the original question, I did not mean how to retrieve information when the the enrollment is deleted, but how to retrieve the infomration when the student is deleted from Canvas. However I think your answer still applies as the enrollment is also deleted. It is necessary to go to the beta installation to retrieve the user to be able to get the grades.

In our case, this situation can happen when a teacher wants to get information regarding grades of the previous semester but the student is no longer a student in the institution. Since user information is sincronized with sis_imports, and only current users are imported to Canvas, student from previous semesters might be deleted.

spaminabox
Community Participant

For me, this is an ongoing issue. Because we are using Canvas for compliance courses, and as we all know, that is not what Canvas was designed for, students can enroll and unenroll in my classes at will. I actually need to know if they competed a course or not, but it is not a simple trick to know if a person actually needs a given course, at least until the next lab audit, when we find someone working with things they are not officially trained for.

This is helpful, though, at least in the case of a person claiming to have completed a course. I have started requiring people to register through our HR system, which is extra work for me, but they let me know if a person started but failed or did not finish so I can follow up.

Thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth Oseid

brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Which report shows deleted enrollments? The Canvas Default Accounts Report PDF did not indicate.

@brian_t_anders  

The Provisioning and SIS Export reports support deleted objects. When you click Configure next to them, there is a checkbox at the bottom to "Included deleted objects."

brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Thank you,  @James .

I ran a report of all possible parameters for both Provisioning and SIS Export and included deleted objects, and none of the reports showed the deleted enrollments.

I manually added a student to a test course and then removed them. Do they need to have had submission or participation in the course for their deleted enrollment to show in a report?

@brian_t_anders 

I'm not sure what's happening. I configured the SIS Exports report to give me the Enrollments CSV for the current term with deleted objects included.

332553_pastedImage_3.png

You can see that the status=deleted is definitely there.

332552_pastedImage_1.png

brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Do you know if the method of creating or deleting the enrollment or if the student's participation in the course matters? Or how the course was created? Or anything that would cause these deleted enrollments not to show? The only thing different is I chose 'Default Term' in my report.

The first graphic is the report I ran (twice), the second is before I removed one of the student's from the course, and the third is after removing the student.

332494_pastedImage_1.png

332582_pastedImage_2.png

332583_pastedImage_3.png