cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khagan
Community Participant

Grades for specific assignments in the Canvas iOS app are locked?

Jump to solution

When my students use their iPads to look at past grades in the Canvas iOS app, they can't see the comments or any details because it says they are locked.  How can I change this so that they can look at my comments and grading?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately it does matter in the mobile app.

Currently on iOS, if the assignment is past the due date or date available, the student will just get a message that the assignment is locked. No access to the assignment, instructions, or anything.

95391_File Sep 01, 6 58 03 PM.pngFile Sep 01, 6 58 03 PM.png

On Android, you get a lot more info (the submission, grade, etc), but you can't view the instructions, only that the assignment is locked.

95519_Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-31-423.pngScreenshot_2015-09-01-16-31-423.png

This is a parity in a parity issue between the web, Android, and iOS. I guess this would be a community request, but at least for Android, it seems like an easy fix.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@khagan ​...

Have you checked properties of your assignment ... specifically the Available From and Until dates?  That may play a factor.  The other thing I could think of would be your course start and end dates in the "Settings" of your course ... specifically if you are restricting access before/after a certain date range.  Check those areas over, and let us know if there are still issues.  Hope this helps!

Unfortunately it does matter in the mobile app.

Currently on iOS, if the assignment is past the due date or date available, the student will just get a message that the assignment is locked. No access to the assignment, instructions, or anything.

95391_File Sep 01, 6 58 03 PM.pngFile Sep 01, 6 58 03 PM.png

On Android, you get a lot more info (the submission, grade, etc), but you can't view the instructions, only that the assignment is locked.

95519_Screenshot_2015-09-01-16-31-423.pngScreenshot_2015-09-01-16-31-423.png

This is a parity in a parity issue between the web, Android, and iOS. I guess this would be a community request, but at least for Android, it seems like an easy fix.

View solution in original post

khagan
Community Participant

I have locked the assignments because I no longer accept submissions--but the students should be allowed to look at their grades!  And my comments!  This is singularly unhelpful.  How do I put in a request for this to change?

You can try it as a new idea: Canvas Feature Ideas

But, I would say this is a bug. You should report it to your support staff so they can file a support ticket. 

gcastaneda
Community Member

I know this is an old posting but I was wondering if a solution is being developed.  As a student, I would like to see my assignment grades using the iOS app but they show as locked , even if they are accessible using a regular browser.

Hi Gerardo Castaneda‌: 

There has been no change in this behavior. You can still see your assignment grades through the app regardless if the app has locked the assignment. This issue only prevents you from seeing assignment comments and details, but you can get to grades. Check out the following mobile guide: How do I view Grades in the Canvas app on my iOS device? 

Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  

The issue I am having is a little different since the assignments on the web site are not locked.  They only show as locked in the phone app.  My theory is that this is because my school uses dual factor authentication (with DUO) to get to the web site, and I don't have dual factor authentication on the phone app...  Perhaps this is an area that the developers could look at.

Regarding the suggestion to look at the gradings even if the assignment is locked, a common practice at my school is that professors add the gradings to the assignment itself (instead of providing a separate navigation link). When this happens,  the option is not available on the phone.  

Thanks again

The assignment being locked is unique to the iOS app, and not your authentication method. If there were an authentication issue, you'd see that at login and not at the assignment level. 

In Canvas there are three date settings. Due, Available From, and Until. Technically instructors can make the Due date before the Until date. This allows students to turn in assignments late. They will be marked late by Canvas. 

233943_22196d82-7b39-42ea-be56-021bf84ab324.png

As for the iOS app, if an assignment has passed the Until date, which makes it no longer available for submission, the app will lock the assignment. This includes grade, details, and assignment comments.

As a student, you should suggest "request a feature" directly in the app through Profile (top left on course list screen) > Help > Request a feature. Even though this seems like a bug, it's working at intended. 

Ryan, thanks a lot for your reply.  I requested a feature through the app to show assignments "view only" after they are locked.