cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeanette_kuder
Community Member

Grades in Canvas

Jump to solution

Is there a way to separate grades for different categories within one course, i.e. Can I organize and separate the assignments and grades for reading from the assignments and grades for writing for the same group of students enrolled in a language course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jeanette_kuder ​...

Within "Assignments", you can group your graded work.  Here is a Canvas Guide on how to do that: How do I add Assignment Groups in my course?

For the Gradebook, there are some options available for you as well.  Here's another Canvas Guide: How do I sort my Gradebook?

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jeanette_kuder ​...

Within "Assignments", you can group your graded work.  Here is a Canvas Guide on how to do that: How do I add Assignment Groups in my course?

For the Gradebook, there are some options available for you as well.  Here's another Canvas Guide: How do I sort my Gradebook?

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

Thanks Chris. I have grouped assignments in the past and I know how to sort the gradebook, but neither feature keeps the grades for different assignment groups calculated as separate groups. That is, I can group my writing assignments and group my reading assignments, but there is still only one total grade and I need two total grades - one total for writing and another total grade for reading. I can do it manually, but I want to know if there is some time-saving feature I'm overlooking.

@jeanette_kuder ​, can you clarify what you're seeing and what you need to accomplish? If you use weighted assignment groups, as you scroll to the right of the Gradebook, you will see separate grades for each of the assignment groups. There will still be one final overarching grade, but the grades for the writing and reading groups will be subsets of that final grade.

Weighting assignment groups! That might be the key. I will try that. Thanks!

dwweinberg-kins
Community Participant

Interesting conversation.  We are interested in this this in another related way.  We want to have a Mid-Term AND a final grade that is calculated within Canvas as you move through the course.  Would this idea of weighted assignments help with that?

dwweinberg-kins
Community Participant

Looks promising but the current new feature bars you from using overlapping time periods.  In this case we need a first half of term calculation with number and letter grade AND then a full term number and letter final grade including that first half time period.  May need to speak to Canvas about this.

@dwweinberg-kins , of course--that makes sense. Perhaps your CSM or someone in Canvas Support can help you tweak the feature.