Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdavis03

Grading Class Participation

Jump to solution

I just transferred districts, and one of the main reasons why I chose the new district is because they utilized Canvas. There are a lot of different features the second district uses the first one didn't.  One aspect I loved was the Roll Call feature.  

I've been trying to figure out how to grade for participation.  I teach ASL, and one of the aspects I grade on is 1) Ability to stay voice-off and in the target language.  2) Eye Contact with the signer and 3) Participation in class activities.  I would like something that works similar to the roll call where I can track student's progress with the above without making multiple assignments.  

Is there a way I can change the roll call settings?  Or some other way I can do that on Canvas?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KelleyMeeusen
Community Member

Hi @bdavis03 

First of all, Roll Call/Attendance cannot be configured for the use you stated.

You could create a new Idea Conversation for this functionality in this community.

Or, you could do this with an assignment (or multiple assignments) and a grading rubric. I understand you don't want multiple assignments, so that leaves a single assignment in which you add points daily or at whatever interval works for you. Unfortunately, this option leaves you no way to track daily participation nor any record of your daily scores, just a cumulative score. So if Student A asks you why they received less points on September 12, you would not have any idea. Of course, you could record those daily scores on a spread sheet inside or outside of Canvas, then jusr record the cummulative score in the assignment.

Good luck with this,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KelleyMeeusen
Community Member

Hi @bdavis03 

First of all, Roll Call/Attendance cannot be configured for the use you stated.

You could create a new Idea Conversation for this functionality in this community.

Or, you could do this with an assignment (or multiple assignments) and a grading rubric. I understand you don't want multiple assignments, so that leaves a single assignment in which you add points daily or at whatever interval works for you. Unfortunately, this option leaves you no way to track daily participation nor any record of your daily scores, just a cumulative score. So if Student A asks you why they received less points on September 12, you would not have any idea. Of course, you could record those daily scores on a spread sheet inside or outside of Canvas, then jusr record the cummulative score in the assignment.

Good luck with this,

Kelley

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@bdavis03  In addition to Kelley's helpful suggestion, you might want to check out the attendance feature that is now part of New Analytics:  Canvas Release: New Analytics - Attendance Report