cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
megan_dillinger

Grading Faux Pas

Jump to solution

Grading Faux Pas-

In regard to grading, I find something rather annoying--perhaps I'm not doing it correctly, but in the grading section when you click on a student you have the option (not in the more details speedgrader), but on main grade page--to update grade OR make a comment to a student. I find it highly annoying that you cannot do both on that main frame. For instance, if I wanted to update their grade to 15/15 I have to do that hit submit, and go back into it again to make a comment. Why is it not an option without going into the speedgrader area to do this on the main grading page? I figured that there would have been some update to make both a comment and grade update available to happen simultaneously. 

Again, I couldn't find a place to submit a suggestion, but perhaps there is a trick on that main page I'm missing. Sometimes it's just easier for me to not have to go into speedgrader, so just asking for a friend Smiley Happy!

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @meki244  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  I completely agree with you; I always thought that was a little odd.  In fact, it's even pointed out in the documentation in the blue box at the top:

Note: You can also grade assignments from the comments window in the Gradebook. However, you cannot add a comment and assign a grade at the same time.

I could not find a Feature Idea, either, but I know why:  the current gradebook will eventually get phased out in favor of the New Gradebook.  The good news is that with the New Gradebook, courtesy of a feature called the Grade Detail Tray, you will be able to leave both a grade and a comment at the same time.  This is shown here, though you may have to join the New Gradebook Users Group‌ to see it: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13705-73553813640 

(To join, just follow that link and from the top right corner click the Actions drop-down menu and then Join Group.)

In fact, your institution may already have the New Gradebook enabled as a feature option that you can choose to enable in a course site.  (Just be aware, however, that once you change over to the New Gradebook there is no going back to the older one in most cases.)  You may want to ask your Canvas Admin if this is so.  One way to check is to head to a course site and click on Settings and then the Feature Options tab.  From there, you may see a setting called New Gradebook.  

Hope this helps, Megan!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @meki244  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  I completely agree with you; I always thought that was a little odd.  In fact, it's even pointed out in the documentation in the blue box at the top:

Note: You can also grade assignments from the comments window in the Gradebook. However, you cannot add a comment and assign a grade at the same time.

I could not find a Feature Idea, either, but I know why:  the current gradebook will eventually get phased out in favor of the New Gradebook.  The good news is that with the New Gradebook, courtesy of a feature called the Grade Detail Tray, you will be able to leave both a grade and a comment at the same time.  This is shown here, though you may have to join the New Gradebook Users Group‌ to see it: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13705-73553813640 

(To join, just follow that link and from the top right corner click the Actions drop-down menu and then Join Group.)

In fact, your institution may already have the New Gradebook enabled as a feature option that you can choose to enable in a course site.  (Just be aware, however, that once you change over to the New Gradebook there is no going back to the older one in most cases.)  You may want to ask your Canvas Admin if this is so.  One way to check is to head to a course site and click on Settings and then the Feature Options tab.  From there, you may see a setting called New Gradebook.  

Hope this helps, Megan!