cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victoria_richar
Community Participant

Grading One People Group at a Time

I am an instructor who teaches a course with multiple instructors. We divided our students into groups under the People link in Course Navigation.

When grading, can we filter to where we only see our group (or a select group) of students?

5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @victoria_richar ‌

You cannot filter the gradebook (nor SpeedGrader) by Groups, but you can filter it by Sections. Have you considered exchanging Groups for Sections? Permission to create sections is controlled by your Account Admin. If your school permits faculty to create section then you can do it; and if not, then your admin can do it.  You can learn more from this Guide.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10868-4214718707 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

RobDitto
Community Champion

@victoria_richar ‌, thank you for also commenting on this feature idea related to your question:

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@victoria_richar ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

You can filter the Gradebook by people groups. Go to "View" then "Filters" then "student groups" and that will open up a drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner by the search bar. In that drop down menu select your group. I do not know of another way to easily grade just one People Group at a time, not even in SpeedGrader, not even if you go to that People Group's home page.

To further clarify  @moses_rivera  answer, a filter by Student Groups became available to teachers this past summer, provided the course is using the New Gradebook feature option. That version of the Gradebook becomes standard in January 2020.