Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LQuillen
Community Member

Grading Quizzes with Rubric

I created a quiz as a class exit ticket that is part of the students' overall attendance and participation grade for each class.  The overall point value is 1 point total for the quiz.  The exit ticket has 3 open ended questions that I gave 0 point value to because I'm using a rubric to give an overall grade that includes their quiz responses AND attendance in class.  However, the grade isn't transferring to the grade book unless I manually enter it in grade book.  Any ideas how I can fix this? 

Labels (1)
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LQuillen ...

When you attach a rubric to a Classic (Current) Quiz, the points from the rubric are not factored into the score....even though you may have one or more rows of criteria in your rubric.  The points are always taken from the actual quiz questions.  So, for example, if you have 5 questions in your quiz at 1 point each, the quiz is worth 5 points...no matter how many points your rubric is worth.  In fact, you'll notice that one of the check-box items, "Use this rubric for assignment grading", is not available for quizzes...as shown in this screenshot:

QuizRubric.jpg

So, while I understand what you'd like to do with the rubric and your three quiz questions, any scores you grade via your rubric do not change the score of questions answered (right or wrong).

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!