Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Grading Scenario

Jump to solution

I am working with an instructor on a course that needs the following:

(1) Students in the course get regular grades.

(2) There is ONE pass/fail assignment. If the student passes this assignment, they receive all of the points they have earned in the course.  If they do NOT pass this assignment, they get a zero (no points at all).

Is there any way to make this happen magically in Canvas?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garth
Community Champion

@nancy_lachance ‌ your scenario may be a bit easier that what is outlined in the blog https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2016/12/19/override-adjust-the-final-grade?sr=sea...

Assuming you have only one assignment group for your assignments, I would do the following:

1. Create an assignment group worth 0% of the final grade
  2. Place all of your course assignments, including the pass/fail, into that assignment group
  3. Create a second assignment group worth 100% of the final grade
  4. Create a single assignment in that group, let's call it "Final Grade" worth 100 points
  5. At the end of the semester, if the student has passed your final assignment, copy their percentage score from the zero weighted group into your "Final Grade" assignment, and they will receive the points they have accumulated.  And if the student did not pass your final assignment, enter a zero for the "Final Grade" and they will receive no credit.

If your gradebook requires more than one assignment group, I would need those details to think through another solution.

I hope this helps.

Hi stefaniesanders‌ : )

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @nancy_lachance ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here in the Canvas Community unanswered since April 26th.  It appears that you may have stumped the Community with your question.  While I'm not sure that I have an answer for you myself, I wanted to check in to see if you've been able to find an answer on your own since you first posted this message.  If so, would you be willing to share your findings with us?  Yet, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that as well so that someone might be able to chime in.  Thanks Nancy.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@nancy_lachance ‌, I haven't had occasion to try this myself in a live course setting, but I wonder if  @garth ‌'s innovative solution would solve this problem: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2016/12/19/override-adjust-the-final-grade 

garth
Community Champion

@nancy_lachance ‌ your scenario may be a bit easier that what is outlined in the blog https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2016/12/19/override-adjust-the-final-grade?sr=sea...

Assuming you have only one assignment group for your assignments, I would do the following:

1. Create an assignment group worth 0% of the final grade
  2. Place all of your course assignments, including the pass/fail, into that assignment group
  3. Create a second assignment group worth 100% of the final grade
  4. Create a single assignment in that group, let's call it "Final Grade" worth 100 points
  5. At the end of the semester, if the student has passed your final assignment, copy their percentage score from the zero weighted group into your "Final Grade" assignment, and they will receive the points they have accumulated.  And if the student did not pass your final assignment, enter a zero for the "Final Grade" and they will receive no credit.

If your gradebook requires more than one assignment group, I would need those details to think through another solution.

I hope this helps.

Hi stefaniesanders‌ : )

View solution in original post

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Thank you, Stefanie! That is the conclusion we came to Smiley Happy.

@nancy_lachance  Awesome!  Thanks for following up : )