cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Grading an Inactive Student's submissions

My institution needs to deactivate students on a daily basis due to state regulations on them accessing course material when they are not in a classroom with a teacher to proctor their work. We use Canvas as a platform for our projects and students should only be accessing the course at specific times during the day. Because of this, we need to deactivate students on a daily basis and they need to remain inactive until the next time they meet in-person with a teacher to work on their projects.

When the teacher navigates to a moderated file upload assignment in the SpeedGrader to a deactivate student that has submitted the assignment, the assignment will be blank. I thought maybe it was an issue with the assignment being moderated but when the student is in the active state, the assignment submission shows. Also, when I test this with an assignment that is not moderated, the assignment shows. The issue has something to do with the assignment being moderated, and the student being inactive.

This has become problematic for grading. In order to grade a student submissions, we need to reactivate the student, grade the submission(s), then deactivate the student. This is laborious and brings up the risk of a teacher forgetting to deactivate a student or forgetting the process entirely.

Is there a way around this?

4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @brian_t_anders .  I have been testing this a bit and am not experiencing what you describe.  In one of my courses I added a test student and as this student submitted an assignment.  As the teacher, I deactivated this student and with the gradebook set to show inactive students went to SpeedGrader for the assignment.  I was able to see the assignment for this student in SpeedGrader and provide a grade.  While still deactivated, I became this student and was unable to see the course on the dashboard or see the course grades by selecting to view my course grades.  When I went back to a teacher role and reactivated the student and I became the student once again, I was able to access the course and see grades as one would expect.

If you have the gradebook set to show deactivated students and cannot see student submissions in SpeedGrader for the deactivated students, you might try contacting Canvas Support as this is not expected behavior (as described in this document https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasEnrollmentStatusComparison.pdf).  Is there a way you could test the behavior as I did with "fake" students? 

I hope this helps and good luck!

I forgot to mention this is a file upload submission on a moderated assignment. I've been able to replicate the blank page multiple times and it seems to only be an issue because it's a moderated assignment.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@brian_t_anders ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I never found a solution to the issue but we decided to move away from moderated grading for these courses. Thanks for following up.