cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesley_cryderma
Community Contributor

Grading multiple submissions to the same assignment

Students can upload files submissions as many times as they want.  As an instructor, I can grade any or all of these submissions as part of the assignment.  However, I recently encountered a situation where I graded the first submission and not the 2nd submission.  I annotated the document.  

The student, when viewing feedback on the assignment, could only view the 2nd submission and NOT the one I graded.  Is this intended behavior? Since there is a new version of the document every time they submit, shouldn't they be able to view all versions in their feedback?  

Lesley

5 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Lesley,

You are correct that students can only see their most recent submission.  You as an instructor can see them all.  I am not sure if this is by design or not.  My guess is that it is with the idea being that a re-submission is meant to replace a previous one.  But teachers can still access old ones a a means of data integrity. 

Rick

Hmmm. I feel like this is functionality we should have. I personally prefer to allow students to submit several files as part of ONE assignment an don't want to have to add a bunch of extra columns in my gradebook in order to separate all of these files.  This usually works out well for me but I hadn't before tried to annotate an earlier assignment.  

I guess maybe I should create a feature request to allow students to see feedback on all submissions.

Lesley

@ , not sure if it helps or not, but the student can see all submissions and feedback from the mobile app. Something else we’ve done is download a copy of the annotated file and then upload it to the Comments area in Speedgrader so that way the student could still get their feedback where they submitted their assignment. To download see the following guide - How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader? (its #6 on the top section).  Here’s info on how to attach the file to Comments - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12746-415255023 

And yes, a number of us have been pushing for this to be a feature in Canvas and I would recommend voting and commenting on the following idea - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1076-student-view-view-submissions-and-comments-for-all-submis... 

Hope this helps!

Kona

lesley_cryderma
Community Contributor

Thank you  @kona . I voted up that feature request.  And thanks for the pointers and ideas.

Lesley

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie