Grading resubmitted assignments using rubric in speed grader

Jump to solution
cliffkc
Community Member

I graded an assignment and then allowed the student to resubmit the same assignment for a better grade.  Both assignments are uploaded with different submission dates but the rubric for the 2nd assignment shows the points and comments for the original assignment.  I thought I would be able to use a 2nd rubric and the highest score between the two would be in the grade book.  Do I have to delete everything on the original rubric and grade the 2nd submission?  If not, how do I get a blank rubric in speed grader to use for the resubmitted assignment.

Thank you for any feedback!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning,  @cliffkc  Thank You for posting your question.  Only one rubric can be attached to a given assignment in your Canvas course.  So, even if you graded a student's first submission with that rubric, you would then need to use the same rubric to grade his/her second submission...just modifying the scores you had first given to reflect the second submission.  You wouldn't want to delete the rubric (which appears under the assignment directions) entirely because that would also delete it from all other student submissions, too.

I found this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1988-add-multiple-rubrics-to-one-assignment" modifiedtitle="tr..., which might be of interest to you.  If you feel that this Feature Idea aligns with something you would like to see in Canvas, I would encourage you to vote on it and maybe add a comment to the bottom of it letting Instructure know why this kind of feature would be important to you.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but I do hope that it helps to answer your question.  Let us know if you have any other questions about this...thanks Kathi.

View solution in original post