cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mauzyec
Community Member

Grading text entry submissions

Jump to solution

Is there a way to grade and comment on written text entries without having to download every submission?

(Edited to modify title: originally "O")

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @mauzyec , and welcome to the Canvas Community! Through the SpeedGrader, you can grade text entry submissions and type in comments using the comment field at the lower right. If you want to use the annotation tools to mark comments directly on a student's submission, you will need to limit the assignment type to Online | File Upload, and then further limit the file types that will be accepted to those that are compatible with Crocodoc, the annotation tool in SpeedGrader. Those file types are currently doc, docx, ppt, pptx, and pdf.

These guides should help you with that:

How do I create an online assignment?

How do I use SpeedGrader?

How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments?

Also, I wanted to let you know that I edited your post for clarity, as the title field previously only contained the letter "O."

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @mauzyec , and welcome to the Canvas Community! Through the SpeedGrader, you can grade text entry submissions and type in comments using the comment field at the lower right. If you want to use the annotation tools to mark comments directly on a student's submission, you will need to limit the assignment type to Online | File Upload, and then further limit the file types that will be accepted to those that are compatible with Crocodoc, the annotation tool in SpeedGrader. Those file types are currently doc, docx, ppt, pptx, and pdf.

These guides should help you with that:

How do I create an online assignment?

How do I use SpeedGrader?

How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments?

Also, I wanted to let you know that I edited your post for clarity, as the title field previously only contained the letter "O."

View solution in original post

mauzyec
Community Member

Thank you.

dbrooks1
Community Member

I limit the submissions to online text entry so that I DON'T have to download.  I use too many devices during my day.  I don't want things downloaded on various devices.  Can't I correct inline on that text entry assignment?

I just tried downloading the submissions and they're not editable there either. 

I copied their sentences into the comments field to edit there, but there's no rich text, so I can't do color.  They won't see my corrections. 

mauzyec
Community Member

I have found grading writings in Canvas to be very very laborious! Having to highlight, click, comment, click, etc. takes entirely too much time. I have the students input their work as doc or docx, so I can check for plagiarism, then submit a paper copy for correcting. I can read and correct 10 paper copies by the time I’ve gotten through one in Canvas. I too am not going to download all those papers on my computer.

Hope this helps.

dbrooks1
Community Member

You use Word online?  How do you edit and not download?  We just got Office 360 at one school so that students can have it.  I don't yet know how to access that on my various devices (ipad, home computer, office computer, classroom computer).  At the other school, we don't have that.  I can't assume students have Word.  Maybe I'll try the Google Drive integration and make them all get gmail accounts?   Or just go back to email where I can comment inline.

mauzyec
Community Member

I think it’s great that every kid should have a Google account on several levels, but I don’t want them to have access to my account. Therefore all submissions have to be through Canvas and rarely, the university email.

eoverton70
Community Participant

agree. I would like to be able to read and edit and make marks (highlights, etc) on the text document so the student can see the edits.