Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sean_stephens

Grading using speed grader and crocdoc

I need to know the proper way to enter grades into the grading system. As it is now, I have documents that I open in Crocdoc and I use a rubric to pass judgement on the hapless minions, then I close the window and the speed grader window is open. It has a space for the grade and sometimes the grade I entered from the rubric populates that box, but usually it does not. If not, I can enter a grade, tell it to update, and it updates the grade center.

In cases where I do not use a rubric, it will never update from crocdoc into speed grader, so I have to enter that manually. I like being able to advance from one graded paper to another, but if I have to keep going back and forth, then it starts feeling cumbersome just to be able to grade.

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sean_stephens ​, Let's try to get grading straightened out! In general my faculty find grading in Canvas to be pretty pain free so hopefully we can get you on the right track!

In order to make sure the grades you enter in the rubric for an Assignment also show up in Speedgrader you need to make sure once you add the rubric to the assignment that you check the box to use the rubric for grading. For more information/directions on this see the "Select Rubric Settings" section on this guide - How do I add a rubric to an assignment? [You might also want to review this guide as well - How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?] If you have the correct box checked and it's still not updating the grade correctly then I'd try switching Internet browsers first - try Chrome or Firefox - and if that still doesn't do the trick, then request help from Canvas Support (make sure you are on the assignment that is giving you problems and then click on the Help link and "Report a Problem").

For the second issue I'm not sure what you mean by it updating from Crocodoc to Speedgrader. There is no place in Crocodoc to enter a grade, so I'm not sure where you're putting the grade. Crocodoc is a way to add comments and feedback on student document submissions, it's not a place to put a grade. See the following guide for more information on this - How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments? You might want to also review this guide for a general overview of how to use Speedgrader - How do I use SpeedGrader?

I hope all of this helps, but if I've misunderstood something please let me know!

kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @sean_stephens -​

Let me work from the bottom up on your question.  If you are not using a rubric while in Speedgrader, I'm not sure what you  mean by saying "it will never update from crocdoc into speed grader," since you cannot place a grade into the rendered  Crocodoc document, per se.  (Well, I suppose you CAN as a comment, but it will be interpreted as just that--a comment that you made in Crocodoc.  You will, as you state, indeed have to manually input the grade into the box in the upper-right corner of Speedgrader.)  You should indeed be able to advance easily from one paper to another after you have input the grade in the upper-left box--but keep reading for more on that.

Now, where you state "It has a space for the grade and sometimes the grade I entered from the rubric populates that box, but usually it does not. If not, I can enter a grade, tell it to update, and it updates the grade center."  That depends on whether or not--when you added the rubric to the Assignment--that you enabled the checkbox Use rubric for Assignment grading, as outlined here:  How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader? and illustrated here:  How do I add a rubric to an assignment?   You MUST enable that checkbox in order for the rubric to automatically calculate the grades you input into the rubric to appear as the grade in Speedgrader. 

To add to the confusion, there exists a long-time bug where if you create a new assignment in a course, and add a rubric and click on Find a rubric to re-use an existing rubric within your course, you will have to "edit" the rubric again and ensure that this checkbox gets re-enabled, because I have found that the checkbox does NOT stay enabled, even if it was enabled on the original rubric.  My understanding was that this bug was fixed, as outlined here:  "Use this rubric for assignment grading" BUG .  However (and Canvas Community, help me here!), I just now tested this on a sample course site where I re-used a rubric within the same course, and indeed, the checkbox did NOT stay enabled.  (So it seems that may STILL be a bug when re-using rubrics, unless I am misunderstanding the bug fix message.)

Finally, inputting a grade manually into the Speedgrader can require a certain "touch."  There is no submit button, as you have likely seen.  Technically, Canvas should take the grade automatically.  To play it safe, I advise my faculty to simply click anywhere outside of that box after inputting the grade to ensure it "sticks."  And it, indeed, should "stick."  It should not be disappearing when you move from student-to-student within Speedgrader.

Does that help at all?

kblack
Community Champion

Sorry  @kona  , I got interrupted while typing my reply and I think our replies crossed on the 'net.  (But I'm curious on your take on the bug that wasn't, perhaps, fixed on my reply.)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kblack ​, I guess I thought that was a different problem. The issue there seemed more like Canvas was having problems if you tried to change or update a rubric for an Assignment - which is when the issue with the check box occurred. Side note, I haven't experienced any additional issues with this, but if you are, I'd definitely submit it as a Help ticket!

Regardless, between the two of us I think we've covered just about everything that could/might be happening with this situation! Smiley Happy

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @sean_stephens ! It's been awhile since we last heard from you, but it looks like you got some solid responses from  @kona  and  @kblack . Did one or both of these responses resolve your issue? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a single workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks!