cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjolly
Community Member

Greek and Hebrew Quizzes on Canvas?

Jump to solution

Does anybody have experience using Canvas for testing Greek and/or Hebrew languages? Students would have to list the Greek alphabet, for example. Right now I'm using images of letters for testing vocabulary, but we need to have students writing words and sentences in the language.

Thanks!

Mike Jolly

The Mater's College

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@mjolly 

I've shared our Week 1 module and Exam 1 from our Greek 1 class to commons.  Hopefully I shared it correctly so you can find it. If you search for "reformed theological seminary" it should come up.  Let me know if you're not able to find it.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
gorsi

Sounds like your students need a different keyboard? I can't speak to Hebrew, but for the odd Greek letter or for typing in Italian & Spanish, I use:

TypeIt - Type accent marks, diacritics and foreign letters online

Type Greek letters - online Greek keyboard   (nea Ellenika - modern Greek)

Type Greek.com  (Ancient Greek)

canvas_admin

We offer both Greek and Hebrew online.  Our quizzes display the Greek and Hebrew characters (natively without using pictures). In Hebrew, we do not make them write anything out in Hebrew.

In Greek (1 through Exegesis), we use the Tyndale House Unicode Font Kit and include both a link for the student to download the font and have a video (for both Mac and PC) showing how to install and use the font kit for typing out in Greek.

Whenever I'm leaving feedback in Hebrew, I switch my keyboard to the "Hebrew-QWERTY" keyboard which is native on Mac.

I'd be glad to share resources with you if you are interested to see how we approach it.

Thanks, Mark. If student can type in Greek in a Canvas Quiz, that's exactly what I need. Whatever resources you have would be a blessing!

@mjolly 

I've shared our Week 1 module and Exam 1 from our Greek 1 class to commons.  Hopefully I shared it correctly so you can find it. If you search for "reformed theological seminary" it should come up.  Let me know if you're not able to find it.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@mjolly ​, I now find myself at a Coach Crossroads™ Smiley Happy--so I'm giving you a choice. If you'd like, you can mark one of the responses above with the "Correct Answer" designation, or I can change your post from a closed-end question to an open-ended discussion so that others might share their equally good ideas. Which would you prefer?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for marking a correct answer,  @mjolly !

mjolly
Community Member

Hi Mark,

According to my CSM, the content you're sharing with me is still private.

"You'll need to reach out to Mark and ask him to download the assets and send them to you directly due to current sharing restrictions in Commons."

This is all new to me, so thanks for helping me out!

Mike

@canvas_admin ​ and  @mjolly , I had a quick look at this lesson from the Commons Guide--What types of sharing options are available in Commons? --and this jumped out at me:

Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.

Mark, is it possible that you (or one of the admins at your school) has set sharing features for Commons in this manner? If so, then yes, you'd either have to override that in your account or download the resources and send them directly to Mike.

@mjolly ​, sorry about that.  Luckily, I'm the admin also so I've updated the settings and made my shared resources public (Thanks stefaniesanders​ for the assist).  You should be able to search for "RTS" or "Reformed Theological Seminary" and find them as I tagged both resources as such.