Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
govreacl
Community Contributor

Group Activity Reporting

Is there a way to find out how many times a student in a group participates in Canvas on the group's area? I have a faculty member who wants the students to work in groups, but also wants to have an analytic report on the student's participation in the group.  I could not find anything specific in the guides.  Does anyone have any information?

Tags (1)
3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @govreacl ​ - I find questions like this interesting, only because I wasn't positive about know the answer myself and wanted to find out!  If the instructor has a specific student in mind, s/he can head to PEOPLE and by clicking on a specific student's name and then clicking on the Access Report button at the far right, the resulting screen WILL show Group activity.  I did this logging in as a sample student for a few minutes in a course site, and here is what the sample student's Access Report shows:

group access.jpg

The instructions for doing the above are here:  How do I view the course access report for an individual student?

However, I am not nearly worthy enough to give the best answer to this question, because Canvas Community Genius-in-Residence (not an official title--but it should be!)  @James ​ has created a masterful program that can be run for the entire course rather than student-by-student that he published directions for here:  Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course .  If you or a faculty member is willing to give this a try, it is a great way to capture data for an entire course rather than going student-by-student.  Be sure to read James' entire page, because there have been some updates.  I just ran his program on this same sample class, and yes--student group activity is included in this, as well.  (Specifically, the column "Context Type" will indicate Group rather than Course as it will in most other cases.)  Bear in mind that no access report is going to be 100% accurate.  Students can, of course, just login and stare at something and still be "credited" for accessing the page.

Hope this helps a bit.

James
Community Champion

Ha! Thanks Ken, but I think it's more like I know a little bit about a few things and know how to research for the others. My name is out there because I write a lot and hopefully some of the stuff I write is occasionally helpful or hits it big (like the discussion counts or the access reports). There are other people doing great things -- many of which I haven't been able to figure out -- but they aren't as visible in the community, so their stuff doesn't get seen as much.

I love taking ideas people put forth and bringing them to reality, so I may have done some things that other people wouldn't have thought about it because it didn't address their specific needs. I don't use much of what I write myself, so I don't know when it breaks. Hopefully something I do can be used to inspire someone else to do something. I also try to write stuff so that people don't have to know how to program to use it, but that's not always possible.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @govreacl ​...

I wanted to check in with you because we haven't heard from you since you first posted this question on September 7th.  Did the responses from  @kblack ​ and/or  @James ​ help resolve your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of those answers as "Correct".  If you are still looking for assistance, please come back to post additional questions/comments.  For now, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from adding additional questions/comments.  Thanks Cynthia!