cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pctay
Community Participant

Group Assignment for a Group within a Group Set

We use sections to manage classes.

However we realized that we still need to setup the class in group again if the instructor wish to have a group assignment. Hence we created different groups set for different classes, and we also have multiple sub groups within each group set.

We realized that we couldn't create a group assignment for a specific sub group, but a group set.

Is there a way to create a group assignment for a sub group, not the whole group set?

6 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Yes, you can do this  @pctay ‌.  Check, specifically, this online document:  How do I assign an assignment to a course group?  While they do indeed cover assigning to a Group Set, keep scrolling down the document until you get to the Assign to Group Only heading within the document.  That shows that you can, indeed, assign something just to one specific group within a group set.

I hope this helps!

pctay
Community Participant

Thanks Ken.

I followed the steps in the online guide, but I realized that only 1 group set can be assigned when creating a group assignment. 

Is that true?

pctay
Community Participant

Thanks Ken.

I followed the steps in the online guide, but I realized that only 1 group set (consist multiple groups) can be assigned when creating a group assignment. 

Is that true?

kblack
Community Champion

Yes, that is correct....but remember that a group set contains multiple groups within it. I'm probably confused by your setup with multiple sections as well as multiple group sets.  So, in addition to creating a group assignment, be aware that one can also limit assignments to a specific section:  How do I assign an assignment to a course section?  Would that help in your situation?

pctay
Community Participant

Thanks Ken.

I do not think section can achieve what I wish to....

Please allow me to explain my current situation & intended outcome.

I have created 11 sections (classes) & also 33 sub-groups within 11 group set in my course.

The reason why I have both is because we have different kind/level of group activity, sometimes it goes to the whole class(s) & sometimes it's only involve certain sub group within a group set.

Course Section

3A

3B

3C

3D

3E

3F

3G

3H

3I

3L

Groups Set & Sub Groups

3A

3A (Group 1)

3A (Group 2)

3A (Group 3)

3B

3B (Group 1)

3B (Group 2)

3B (Group 3)

3C

3C (Group 1)

3C (Group 2)

3C (Group 3)

:

:

:

I would like to have a group assignment for all sub-groups within each group set, which means total of 33 sub-groups within 11 group set. I realized that I could only assign a group assignment to single group set and then select multiple sub-groups.

244189_pastedImage_1.png

If that is true, so does it mean that I have to create 11 group assignment in this case?

Thanks,

PC

kblack
Community Champion

Oh, heavens!  Yes, I'm afraid so,  @pctay ‌ .  Thank you for the excellent clarification.  If it is any consolation, Canvas recently introduced the ability to do Assignment Duplication.  While you will still have to edit each assignment individually to make it a group assignment, it may at least help decrease the repetition a bit.  Sorry I can't offer more assistance on this one...or an elegant solution.