Group Submissions in Gradebook

Jump to solution
lcantu
Community Novice

How do I get submissions to go into the gradebook for all members of a group?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @lcantu  - Assuming it was an online/file submission type of assignment, this should be happening automatically, but what I think you may be asking is how to show individual, student-specific submissions and the answer is you cannot.  By default, any group assignment is treated by Canvas as, well....a group effort, so the first one to submit on behalf of the group is what you will see in SpeedGrader.  This is explained in the first bulleted Note in the blue section at the top here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10107-415254248 

If another group member submits, that will cause the most recent submission to appear in SpeedGrader, though you will still have access to all earlier submissions courtesy of the Submission to view: drop-down menu at the top, as illustrated under the Evaluate Multiple Submissions heading on this lesson: How do I view the details of a submission for a student in SpeedGrader?  However, as explained on the How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?, even if the checkbox for assigning grades to each student individually was enabled when creating the group assignment, "the submission will still apply for each group member's assignment."  In other words, Canvas will not differentiate who submitted what.

A group assignment--the way it is done in Canvas--is NOT a place for individual submissions. Faculty at my own institution have made this mistake a few times, so you would not be alone if this is what you're asking.  The only "solution" would be for each individual group member to have his/her name at the top of their own unique submission.  But again, it's really not the best way to do this.

I hope this helps a bit, Laura...and that I understood your question correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes