cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardm
Community Participant

Group work grades by students

Jump to solution

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone had used a peer review assignment as a way of students giving each other grades for groupwork? Its the only way I can think of doing it, without having the students complete exit surveys on paper and then I collate the grades.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mchild76
Community Contributor

I just completed a course development for an agile team management course which ran this past spring. At the end of each sprint (team activity round), each member of the team responded to a graded survey in Canvas. The brief 5-question survey asked individual team members to rate the groups overall success across three areas: communication, collaboration, and effectiveness. Then they each voted one member of the team as the "gold star" member of the sprint and identified one area the group needed to improve (individually or as a team). 

When I went back and talked to the instructor, he indicated he could review the surveys quickly in Speed Grader and problem areas and strengths stood out pretty clearly. These performance cues guided a few individual interventions and commendations during the term and were rolled into an individually assigned group performance grade for the course.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@richardm , I haven't tried this, but it sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm assuming you would have each students submit something - maybe have them briefly write-up how they contributed to their group (I actually have my students do this at the end of their group projects) - and then manually assign students to review the other people in their group? This is actually a pretty cool idea! 🙂

Yet, to see if anyone else can give you feedback on this I'm going to share it with a few groups in the Community (https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=1958b7e7-ba25-4237-b82f-e1c4ed92...‌, https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=d75ce57e-e479-48d3-b264-9f64f7ba...‌, & https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12?sr=search&searchId=c8f442cc-5f27-42de-bbb9-6a083869dcf6&s...‌).

mchild76
Community Contributor

I just completed a course development for an agile team management course which ran this past spring. At the end of each sprint (team activity round), each member of the team responded to a graded survey in Canvas. The brief 5-question survey asked individual team members to rate the groups overall success across three areas: communication, collaboration, and effectiveness. Then they each voted one member of the team as the "gold star" member of the sprint and identified one area the group needed to improve (individually or as a team). 

When I went back and talked to the instructor, he indicated he could review the surveys quickly in Speed Grader and problem areas and strengths stood out pretty clearly. These performance cues guided a few individual interventions and commendations during the term and were rolled into an individually assigned group performance grade for the course.

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@richardm ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

richardm
Community Participant

Thanks mchild76‌ for the assist