cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cynthia_mcgrail
Community Member

Growing with Canvas: Calendar

Jump to solution

In the Growing with Canvas Module 1.9 Activity, I requires you to create an event and an assignment in your calendar. I only have a tab to create an event not an assignment. 350965_DCE50384-EA7E-4063-BE53-4C941166EECA.jpeg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Cynthia,

I noticed in your screenshot, the Calendar drop-down menu shows your personal calendar. If you click the drop-down menu and select the name of the course, see if you can get the assignment link to display?

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
James
Community Champion

@cynthia_mcgrail  

Let's check and make sure it's not a broader issue. Go into the course you're developing for your training and click on the Assignments button. Then click on the add assignment button. You don't actually have to create an assignment, I just want to know if you can.

350978_pastedImage_1.png

If you cannot add an assignment, then it probably not related to the calendar, but to some other permission issue.

Here are some reasons why people cannot create assignments.

Some schools have instructional designers that design and then teachers who teach but the teachers don't get to modify or create assignments.

Other schools use blueprint courses, which have a master course that someone edits and then pushes the content out to other courses that people teach from. Part of that process allows locking the course so that the instructors cannot create new assignments.

It's also possible that you don't have a course where you're the teacher. That is, perhaps someone failed to create a sandbox course for you to play around with or maybe they put you in there as a student instead of a teacher.

It may also be possible that you're not a teacher for any current course. Perhaps you're between terms and don't have any active courses at this instant. Your spring courses may be over and the local Canvas administrator hasn't opened up fall courses for you to work with yet.

I did some playing around with enrollments to see what I could find. I took one of our teachers who hasn't taught in several years so I knew that they weren't active in any current course. For them, the calendar only had "event" and "my to do" from the calendar. Our current teachers had the ability to add assignments.

You may need to check with your local Canvas administrator to find out what's going on. We're a global community of users of the Canvas learning management system (the software) and don't have access to your institution to troubleshoot directly or make changes.

When I went into my Summer 20 Course 1, I created an assignment. I went back into the calendar and still don’t have the Assignment tab button. It looks like I don’t have a sandbox either.

I’m an Art Teacher (Encore).

Cynthia McGrail

Visual Arts Educator

Powell Elementary School

My Sandbox is working but I can’t add the assignment to my calendar.

Cynthia McGrail

Visual Arts Educator

Powell Elementary School

Hi Cynthia,

I noticed in your screenshot, the Calendar drop-down menu shows your personal calendar. If you click the drop-down menu and select the name of the course, see if you can get the assignment link to display?

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thank you.