cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klarson
Community Member

Has anyone found a way to allow for multiple submissions over a period of time to one assignment?  

We want to allow students the ability to upload different files to the same assignment throughout the year.  It appears that if they want to submit multiple files, they have to do it at the same time. Does anyone have a work-around for submitting multiple files to the same assignment over time?

Tags (2)
5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klarson ‌, students can keep submitting files to an assignment as long as the Until date hasn't passed. That means you can have them submit as many files as many times as you want. The one caveat is that students can only view the most recent submission. Instructors can see all submissions. 

If this doesn't work for you and you really need everything in the same assignment you could have them submit the link to a google drive folder and have the students submit their files to their own individual folder. 

jschaffer
Community Champion

@klarson ‌,

We run into the same issue and it creates a bit of a problem for our teachers and students.  This is particularly true of assignments where multiple file types need to be submitted (an excel file with a word doc for example).  As far as we can find, there is no easy or clean solution to this.

Jason

tross
Community Champion

When the submission is multiple drafts of the same file, we recommend that teachers setup multiple assignments.   This puts each due date on the calendar and controls the submissions.   

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @klarson ‌...

I noticed that we've not heard from you since you first posted this question on May 8th and then received responses from a few members of the Canvas Community later that day and the following day.  Have you had an opportunity to review those responses?  If so, did they help to answer your question?  Or, do you still have any outstanding questions as it relates to multiple submissions?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still have some questions, please feel free to come back to this posting and provide an update below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to work with you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite some time.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Karen!

tamychapman
Community Contributor

This was an issue for me with discussion due dates because I wanted to require students to submit a first post by a certain day during the week and require replies to be due on a different day. I couldn't use the Canvas Syllabus because it would only show one of those dates--usually the second date because that's what I put as the due date. If students didn't read my directions for submitting their first post earlier, then they were late. They would tell me they didn't know about the first due date because it wasn't in the Syllabus. So, I too would like to be able to put multiple due dates on Discussions and Assignments so that I could then use the Syllabus.