cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theotherdy
Community Participant

Has anyone tried to apply Bootstrap Scrollspy to the Modules page?

Given that many HE courses are distincly non-linear, I'm not very happy about the very linear way in which Canvas's Modules view is presented, particularly where each Module is very long...but don't want to have to author a new page to present instead/lose the completion indicators. Was wondering whether anyone else had tried creating a Bootstrap scrollspy-based menu/nav on the Modules page? (BTW new to this so not exactly sure where the question will appear - sorry in advance if I've done it the wrong way!)

6 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, theotherdy Welcome to the Canvas Community! You've posted this perfectly; indeed, we encourage our members to start by posting their questions where they'll get the most exposure—namely, https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers?sr=search&searchId=ee71233c-da16-4d60-a3c7-2b522ab...—and then "share"* it out to any relevant groups of which they're members.

In this case, and because of the highly technical nature of your inquiry, I've shared this question with the Canvas Developers group. You won't need to join the group to see their responses appear here; however, if you'd like to join the group so you can participate directly in discussions there, you can easily do so by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown you'll see at the upper right of the group home page.

*"share" = select the Share button that appears at the upper right of your post, and type in the group or member to which you want to share the resource, keeping in mind that you can only share to groups to which you already belong.

James
Community Champion

You may also want to check out https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4636-modules-within-modules  to see what other people have written about this feature.

theotherdy
Community Participant

Thanks  @James ‌. Given that Scrollspy doesn't seem to be installed in Canvas, I had a bit of a rethink and have written a quick and dirty Modules 'Dashboard' which at least deals with the navigation issue - not the sub-modules, module order though.

James
Community Champion

Canvas does not want us to rely on any of their installed JavaScript libraries. They have made an exception for jQuery (at least for now) and have been working towards hiding any existing ones from us. If you want to include Scrollspy or pretty much anything else besides jQuery, then you'll need to install it yourself as part of your global custom JavaScript file.

theotherdy
Community Participant

Thanks  @James . Also worth noting that JQuery isn't available in the Student App - just had to recode some progress bars in plain javascript: Notes on Styling Instructure Canvas – MSDLT Blog.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

theotherdy,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie