Having Issues Downloading Files from Canvas

Jump to solution
TLJ3
Community Member

This is a recent issue I haven't had before...

I open a file located in the "Modules" section of Canvas, for example, an article, then I click on the "Download...."  I go to my dowloaded files and they are all named "True-#. html" once I click on one of these files, it takes me to another Canvas log-in page. I try to log in again but the page doesn't do anything. It remains on the log-in page no mater how many times I hit the log-in button.  
HELP! I can't download anything!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @TLJ3 ...

I tried re-creating your scenario in my own sandbox course.  For example, I have a PDF file linked in one of my modules.  I am also using Google Chrome as my browser.  If I left-click on the file, I am taking to a page that previews the PDF in Canavs, and it gives me a link above the preview where I can right-click on the file and download it to my computer.  However, if I am on my "Modules" page and right-click (not left-click) on the file, when I attempt to "Save link as...", then the only option for a file download is one with a .html file extension...just like you have reported.  So, I would recommend that you left-click on the file on the "Modules" screen first...then either left-click or right-click on the file above the preview to download it to your computer.

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

TLJ3
Community Member
Author

YAY!!!!! It worked!! Well, kind of. I started messing around with it more. The way you mentioned still gave me the issue, but I started trying other options I hadn’t done before. I tried “open link in new tab” and for whatever reason it finally let me download the document! So bizarre. I didn’t have this issue until about a week ago. 

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. If you’re a student, best of luck w/ your finals, and Happy Holidays!

View solution in original post