Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete1
Community Contributor

Help!! I have poor SIS import hygiene!

Jump to solution

Hello all,
As I often do, I will start this by stating I have a background in exercise rehab, we are a small business (often adding 15-25 students a time) and I am our "IT Department".

This brings me to my question / discussion, I have terrible SIS import hygiene. Currently I import students with two CSV files:

User:

CSV user.jpg

Enrolment:

CSV enrolment.jpg

UP to to this point, it works fine, students get put into our courses and all looks well. However it turns out students added with this method do not receive any emails from Canvas. Which is confusing as when I try to resend the invitation, I receive this notification.

pedros gray.jpg

When the invitation is resent, students receive a "get started" email, which unfortunately just takes them to our landing page and does not run them through the password set up, so there are a lot of confused students.

I feel that my major fall down can be found with this small paragraph

API documentation.jpg

I am trying to learn the API side of things at the moment, however, thats still a bit out of my league.

My main questions I have (and would be so appreciative if anyone can take the time to answer one) are:
1. Where am I going wrong with the import that new users do not receive emails from Canvas (and show as accepted the invite).
2. How do I find if emails have bounced (due to incorrect emails etc)
3. Is it possible to edit the format of the initial Canvas emails

I am more than happy to read up on this, I just don't quite know where to look yet..

Thank you in advance for time spent reading / replying to this discussion!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ahess4
Community Contributor

1. Where am I going wrong with the import that new users do not receive emails from Canvas (and show as accepted the invite).

- You are not doing anything wrong. When you import with csv via SIS framework, enrollments are added without verification (invite) from the user. Since they already 'accepted' automatically, you are getting that message when trying to resend the invite (even though you are not really resending).

- I haven't found a way yet - I don't see anywhere in the documentation where this is logged.

- Unfortunately, no. We have asked, begged and yelled about this to our CSM.

I would suggest you inform your users separately to use the forgot password link to setup their password, or create an initial password for them in the csv files.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @pete1 ​, I don't have an immediate answer to your question, but I wanted to let you know that I've shared it with the Canvas Admins​ group, as those are the folks who have the most experience formatting csv files and using them to populate courses with students. I've also changed the format from a discussion to a question, because I think it's likely that one of the aforementioned experts is going to provide an answer that you might ultimately deem uniquely "correct." If not, and if it turns out there are multiple ways to skin this particular cat, we'll flip it back to a discussion. Smiley Happy

ahess4
Community Contributor

- You are not doing anything wrong. When you import with csv via SIS framework, enrollments are added without verification (invite) from the user. Since they already 'accepted' automatically, you are getting that message when trying to resend the invite (even though you are not really resending).

- I haven't found a way yet - I don't see anywhere in the documentation where this is logged.

- Unfortunately, no. We have asked, begged and yelled about this to our CSM.

I would suggest you inform your users separately to use the forgot password link to setup their password, or create an initial password for them in the csv files.

View solution in original post

ahess4, thanks for stepping into the fray and providing definitive guidance!

@pete1 ​, the ability to format the initial invitation emails was considered by the Community a while back but didn't receive a high enough vote total to move forward: . Feature ideas can always be resubmitted, so if this is something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, please feel free to resubmit the idea after reading How do I create a new feature idea?

pete1
Community Contributor

ahess4​, Thank you very much for your response, it has put me somewhat at ease knowing that I was not completely incompetent with a CSV upload.
It does make me wonder how a large university / school deals with this though? I find it can be quite time consuming to "fault find" when a student says they have not received an invitation email (is it in junk, is it the wrong email address, did it just not send from canvas), surely it would be great to get a report from Canvas after a "user" upload that states how many emails were sent out, how many bounced, it could even request a "email read" response from the students.

The "+people" has such a great way to get students in the course, one email to set up their account / password, one telling them they have been invited to a course, its just a bit of a shame this does not happen with CSV uploads also.

I suppose the beauty of students not receiving any emails means we can craft our own, and provide them with their password (thanks for the idea Anthony).

stefaniesanders​ thank you for updating this to a question (I had a serious debate with myself prior to posting whether to mark it a discussion or question..) and thanks for sharing with the Canvas admins. Once again, Canvas community to the rescue.

ahess4
Community Contributor

@pete1 , We use feed files (CSV) to create the accounts in Canvas (no email goes out), and we use external authentication - shibboleth - which means that Canvas does not handle passwords (or password resets). When users go to login to Canvas, they use their current ID and password, which they all already know since it is centrally managed and used with other systems (email, SIS, computer labs, etc.)
We have a identity management site that users are trained to use outside of Canvas that provides their credentials and password resets.

I believe Canvas supports LDAP, CAS, SAML (Shibboleth) for external authentication.