cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morrisoncm2
Community Member

Help for parents wanting to view upcoming assignments

Jump to solution

I'm a parent who wants to simply view my son's assignments before they are due. This website is so over whelming. Where do I even start??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Christine ~

I'm glad you found the Canvas Community!

This past August, I wrote Clarity for Canvas Observers‌. I hope that you find that helpful! If you want a simple at-a-glance view of your son's upcoming work, I suggest trying Canvas Parent! It has a simple interface and is awesome for keeping track of important tasks. (Observers can even set reminders about individual assignments separate from what a student does in their Canvas account.)

Canvas Parent

• Canvas Parent is free to download from the Apple Store and on Google Play.
  • It's important to note that the app does not have the same functionality as the Observer role does on the web, but it's an amazing tool for families. Canvas Parent is a great way to simplify the Observer experience as it provides at-a-glance digests of each student's school day and custom notifications or assignment reminders on a student-by-student basis.
  • To toggle between students, click the name displayed in the top-center of the screen. A short drop-down menu will appear, which will include a list of the students linked to your observer account. (How do I use the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device?)
  • If for some reason the Observer credentials do not work with Canvas Parent or the institution is not listed, manually type the domain/web address of the district (ie: www.canvas.instructure.com). If that still does not work, contact local Canvas support. It's important to note here that not all institutions have enabled Canvas Support and/or support it. Each school district is unique and make choices based on their needs.

Please let the Canvas Community know if you have any other questions! We're happy to help! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Christine ~

I'm glad you found the Canvas Community!

This past August, I wrote Clarity for Canvas Observers‌. I hope that you find that helpful! If you want a simple at-a-glance view of your son's upcoming work, I suggest trying Canvas Parent! It has a simple interface and is awesome for keeping track of important tasks. (Observers can even set reminders about individual assignments separate from what a student does in their Canvas account.)

Canvas Parent

• Canvas Parent is free to download from the Apple Store and on Google Play.
  • It's important to note that the app does not have the same functionality as the Observer role does on the web, but it's an amazing tool for families. Canvas Parent is a great way to simplify the Observer experience as it provides at-a-glance digests of each student's school day and custom notifications or assignment reminders on a student-by-student basis.
  • To toggle between students, click the name displayed in the top-center of the screen. A short drop-down menu will appear, which will include a list of the students linked to your observer account. (How do I use the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device?)
  • If for some reason the Observer credentials do not work with Canvas Parent or the institution is not listed, manually type the domain/web address of the district (ie: www.canvas.instructure.com). If that still does not work, contact local Canvas support. It's important to note here that not all institutions have enabled Canvas Support and/or support it. Each school district is unique and make choices based on their needs.

Please let the Canvas Community know if you have any other questions! We're happy to help! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post