cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aguethler
Community Participant

Help importing cartridge/Display of HTML

I have been using Canvas for 3 years, but have yet to successfully import course tools from my textbook. 

Publisher: Macmillian

File type: imscc

I am successful downloading the file, and using the course upload to import it into canvas.  After that point all files (animations, activities, etc) are html files.  They show up in nicely divided modules, but only work when downloaded (and then sometimes)   If you click on the file it fails to load in both chrome and ie.    I get the link to download and a box with the word loading in the left hand corner.  The never actually load.  

All information I can find seems to refer to single sign on and deep integration - neither of which are desired for this course.   Macmillan Learning: Canvas for Scientific American Biology for a Changing World Second Edition by Mi... 

5 Replies
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @aguethler  Welcome to the Canvas Community. 

I researched a little of what you were referring to and see how this can pose a problem. I see that Macmillan also has a community site which I'm sure is super helpful!

Have you checked that you have Macmillan Learning tools added into your course as an app? This may be the first step in checking compatibility of the course import translating well. If you can't check this, you may need the Admin of your institution to do so for you. 

I'm going to go ahead and share with https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=5c1ea6fe-a4b0-4f3c-a575-ae1081e6...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=c174e361-4ce1-4d10-9b06-d148bf1236d...‌ groups to hopefully get more traction on your question. Smiley Happy

aguethler
Community Participant

Roxanne,  I really appreciate the help.

I am finding the Macmillan website to be unhelpful.  The app also does not meet my needs.  The app transfers you to their own launchpad program which allows a single login but requires students to have an active book code.   The community site seems to push you to use this format.   We allow our students to purchase used copies and I think that continues to be reasonable since the added value of launchpad isn't enough to justify the extra cost.  This means that anything that is not a direct integration might not be accessible to the whole class. 

The product I want to use is :  " Registered instructors can download cartridges with no hassle, no strings attached. Content includes our most popular free resources and book-specific content for most of our titles. "

However as they offer a Canvas course pack I thought there must be a way to integrate it so that it works.  I cannot imagine they would go through all that effort to produce something that does not work.  If I do not figure it out I will go to our Campus provided canvas advisers.  However, my class does not start for three weeks and others start on Monday so I wanted to give it a good try myself before getting in the que.

Thanks so much for that info. It sounds like there's a strange conflict within the course content and what you have. I wonder, did you "Reset Course Content" before importing the .imscc file? That will wipe the entire course, then you can upload into it. You can also Wipe the Course, select the .imscc file and select specific content (How do I select specific content as part of a course import? ) instead of doing "All Content" and see if it happens to copy over differently? It may be worth a shot. 

Forgive me if I'm asking something you've already done. Just curious as to why it isn't working! As you said, they wouldn't put that time into something that doesn't work! Smiley Happy 

langlangcat
Community Contributor

Hi, Alexis, 

Your experience reminds me of my unsuccessful embedding of flash content with Chrome and Edge. 

Could you check if the courseware you imported is Flash based?  Some institution set their Chrome's security level to a degree that blocks flash player plugin,( flash does cause a lot of security concern but that's another story).

I would recommend checking your chrome plug-ins list first, if the Adobe Flash Player is not set to "Always allowed to run", then check box to allow it. If after this the flash still only downloads without opening, you may want to check if the "pepflashplayer.dll file" is present. If not, install the file first. 

Again, make sure all these courseware are running with Flash, if not, my above recommendations will not hold true. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @aguethler ...

I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity here in this topic since  @langlangcat 's response on August 21st.  Have you had an opportunity to review all feedback here?  Did any of the above responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some feedback/help?  If one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update below so that members of the Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below related to this topic.  I hope that's alright wit you, Alexis.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!